Author Topic: Bella Mammas  (Read 8011 times)

Offline KIP

• Newly Registered
Re: Bella Mammas
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 08:47:23 AM »
We ate twice in Bella Mamma's when we were in Calis 18-25 October - once for dinner and once for lunch.

Both times the meals were brilliant and our party of eight were extremely well looked-after. I find the staff friendly without being fawning and very knowledgeable. When I ordered Calzone, the waiter voluntarily offered it with any of the pizza toppings rather than the simple one on the menu, two of my friends who are particular about wine were offered great suggestion which made them very happy and the shrimp cocktail is so good I had it on both visits! We have an ongoing "Bella Mamma or Casa di Mamma - which is your favourite?" conversation every year and whilst I enjoyed our meal in the latter, I personally still think overall Bella Mamma is definitely better...

I find their "friendliness" just right personally and it is definitely my favourite restaurant in Calis itself - though there are a couple in Fethiye which I would rate equally good.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 17:27:56 PM »
We have known one of the staff at Casa Di Mamas for 9 years and usually go in at least twice for evening meals and about 4 lunches,,, Due to dental problems and eaing at other equally as good places we didn't get round to it until the last week of our hols. Unfortunately this waiter chose to turn his back on us and pretend not to see us on several occasions during the previous weeks.. Although we would have loved to go in we thought "no chance".. and went to Bella Mammas which was excellent.. The first week he was all over us by the way,,,

Offline Phil

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 18:20:33 PM »
I hate feeling rushed at any restaurant and have avoided Bellas for some time because it was always far too rushed for me. I can quite easily make a meal last a few hours. I don't appreciate the starter plate being whisked away and then being immediately replaced with the main course.

Although things were better at Casa's no matter how much I pleaded with them that I wanted to take things slowly the main courses always followed the starters far too quickly.

A trick I now employ at Casa's is to just give them the starter order, and then order the mains after a suitable interval has passed after I have finished the starter. This is the only way I have found I can slow things down to my speed.

This has worked at other restaurants as well and I will now revisit Bellas to see if the same technique can be used to get things down to a reasonable pace.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 19:26:06 PM »
Phil - may ask what you do during the few hours.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 19:46:21 PM »
The same as you and I do in the few hours spent at our Glasgow meet up & meal?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 20:14:28 PM »
Exactly how we always feel Phil. Mains is put in front of us, as soon as we finish, and the staff hover to see if you have finished, plates are whipped away and the next course it put down.  We order coffee and that is put down and then the hovering starts.  We are never relaxed and never spend long in this place.  No problem with the food it is always first class, it is just the convoy system, we hate.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 20:35:24 PM »
The same as you and I do in the few hours spent at our Glasgow meet up & meal?

Good point  :-[

Offline Lotty

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 20:42:27 PM »
I hate rushed meals. We always ask for a break between courses however they often agree only to still rush in with the next course. So we now often do just what Phil does and only order a first course then enjoy a break before ordering the next course. Makes sense really.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 21:24:17 PM »
Well you can only speak as you find and we didn't feel at all rushed

Offline Christie

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »
We also have never felt rushed.

Share me