Author Topic: Bars and Restaurants You Miss From Yesteryear  (Read 14299 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Bars and Restaurants You Miss From Yesteryear
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 13:51:14 PM »
Change Office which became The Anatolian when Ersin Gul was running it.

Offline Christie

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 15:56:14 PM »
Enjoyed many lovely nights at the Orient (in Falcon and George's days) and the Nil - they were both very busy and they were the places to go.  Also enjoyed the Magic Pan when Ouzi was there, also Vadi Gardens was a favourite (before the block incorporating the meeting point and oceana was built.   We also used to go to the restaurant where Mangals is opposite Meeting Point - don't remember the name we always called it Rock on Tommys because the owner looked like the guy from Cannon & Ball.  Happy days.

Offline George Warner

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 16:06:41 PM »
Tekins  in Koca Calis  same set up as the Birlik with probably the best genuine Turkish night with folk dancers and someone explaining what the dances were representing,Tekin was / went out of his way to ensure all enjoyed the evening,shame some folk took advantage.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 17:03:11 PM »
Wow I remember the Magic Pan Christie - I think the older guy called himself Raymond but I can't fully remember - fond memories of some lovely meals in Sultans too.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 20:47:21 PM »
Susuz on The corner...opposite the Dolphin roundabout.... It was where we had our first pide and spent some lovely days out drinking on their balcony... I remember one evening we called in for a meal and the football was on.. The place was heaving with local Turkish men.. I said " we will come back tomorrow".. "no no no" said the owner come in.. We ordered 2 chicken casseroles.. He had to go out and buy the chicken. tomatoes etc, . Made us some Turkish flat bread. Free salad, (everywhere in those days).. It took over an hour but it was the best chicken casserole we have ever eaten in Calis... Their food was great... We arrived to buy a property in The April.. Apart from them, Josephs and The Nil Bar everywhere else was closed.. Dirt road. No lamps.. it was wonderful...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 22:51:16 PM »
Susuz was fantastic - as their next door neighbour they fed me almost daily for about a year. The food was sensational and they never ever realised their potential. Also as their next door neighbour I can also confirm he was totally unstable :D 

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 19:41:34 PM »
Irish bar opposite dawn beach, think it's called Oceania cocktail bar now, on my first visit to calis was the first bar I went to as arrived during a portsmouth (my team) match that was being shown on the tv in there, had fun playing darts in there to.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 20:12:31 PM »
Sardunya opposite Scarletts. Simple Turkish food, home made wine, and a real friendly welcome.

Offline marina

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 21:19:01 PM »
That's the one Toky!  I've been trying to think of that name   :)  and the best liver and onions too!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 21:21:13 PM »
Some great nights here

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf