Author Topic: Bella Mama ,Style above substance!  (Read 13421 times)

Offline Steve A

Bella Mama ,Style above substance!
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
Haven't eaten at Bella for quite a while now having had a bad experience and preferring the (in my book) infinitely better Casa Di mama.
Well having heard some good reviews recently ,one from my daughter,we decided to try it again last night.
First impressions are that it looks very nice,lovely bar area etc but scratch the surface and it's starting to look a bit tired.
We were initially given a table outside but there were so many flies we asked to be moved inside.We moved to a table for two and the seats were akin to deck chairs.The staff have no interaction with guests some looked like they could do with a good wash,I recall they all used to wear crisp white shirts and black trousers,not now.There was also a heavy fatty,buttery smell coming from the kitchen which was off putting,no inviting smells here.
The service and the arrival of the food was very prompt.
My wife had garlic prawns to start and they were awful,about six small prawns submerged in what tasted like melted margarine and smelled the same as the smell emanating from the kitchen,not even a hint of garlic.They brought her bread which was a small puffa bread which was stale and cold.
I had calamari which tasted okay but was like rubber,cooked on too high a heat.
Mrs A had the ciao Bella pizza which had about four pieces of "fillet" steak on it,the street dogs got it.
I had a spicy Italian calzone with Napoli sauce,it came with bolognese sauce on,I sent it back and then scraped the bolognese off and covered it with cold arrabiata sauce ! I attempted to eat it but the cubed beef was more like stewing steak.
There is just something wrong with the flavours and seasoning at this place as well as the cooking,chefs night off maybe?
Here's the rub that I hate,I didn't complain !
Reason? The last time I raised issues at Bella I almost got into a fight with the manager who threatened me with the polis.
So I will vote with my feet again and try elsewhere.

Offline Google

• Newly Registered
Re: Bella Mama ,Style above substance!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
Well said. This place has gone from bad to very bad to disgusting

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »
This is very concerning as we have always had superb service and food in Bella Mamma's and indeed it was voted Best Calis Restaurant last year.

Over what timescale were you talking about google may I ask.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »
We also noted, as I commented before, the alcohol content in the Irish and Amaretto Coffees was minimal last week and this was always the coffee we looked forward to and was the best in the area.   However, both the meals were fine and service was good.
We think they may be cutting corners as the visitor numbers are down again this year. 

Offline Fran

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »
We ate there a couple of weeks ago and it was very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Google

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 12:20:57 PM »
Mainly end of last season. Food was really good as was service up until end of last season when everything just seemed to go to pot. Service was so miserable and rushed. Will try again though because it has always been a great favourite of our family and was one the restaurants that we could rely on to get an excellent meal every time.

Offline davybill

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 15:33:55 PM »
We ate there last week, the food was good and the service wad fine..
No complaints from 4 of us.

Offline cenk

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 16:04:56 PM »
We ate there 2 weeks ago. Both food and service was good as usual.

Offline steveb1

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 02:14:22 AM »
Steve a think we were sitting next to you .
I can't complain about our meal or service I had Tournedos Rossini and my other half had salmon both dishes where lovely

Offline catsrus

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
I ate at Bella Mama's on Sunday evening and as usual it was very good, no complaints at all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf