Author Topic: 1977 and all that  (Read 10829 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
1977 and all that
« on: February 14, 2015, 19:18:39 PM »
I kept a diary for the whole of 1977. Here is the entry for 14 February.

It is reproduced here to encourage others to start their own blog because it cannot possibly be as mind-numbingly boring as this.

Headlines ( Scottish Daily Express): Charity Night Terror – student stabbed minutes after leaving Charity Ball in Glasgow.

Back to the usual Monday morning routine today. Stuart 1 was not in a very good mood this morning mostly caused by Douglas Murray 2 Alterations to the Marine Hotel Brora. It did however improve as the day went on but Rosemary (the secretary) didn’t help matters. Most of the working day was spent on Doug’s 3 Forms for Tulloch Wood and later on with his Work Category split up for Invergordon Fire Station. It seems ages since I did any work on my own jobs.

My Test of Professional Competence arrived today and I half jokingly suggested to Stuart that I steam it open. His reply was rather surprising i.e that if I did when he wasn’t there he would not know any better. That certainly gave me something to think about. It certainly would be a great help if I knew beforehand what was expected even if I didn’t actually do any work on it. We’ll have to wait and see.

As planned after yesterday, I went out and bought David Niven’s second book “Bring on the Empty Horses” but I don’t think I’ll get the chance to start on it tonight. Dennis 4 has his first book “The Moon’s a Balloon” and he said that once he had started to read it he could not put it down.
Michael 5 said he would phone today but didn’t and I take it that he still hasn’t had an enquiries about his house and that this is becoming a real problem. I hope something happens soon.  He may also have received the information I sent him and/or was out all day and didn’t get the chance to phone.

Still haven’t written to Scott 6 with money for the iron – I must do this soon. Also I must take my suit down to Barbara to get it dry cleaned. Another thing that has to be remembered is that I still have to buy the railway tickets for Aberdeen some time next week.
Main news stories of the day: Crossland seriously ill; Angry brigade bomber released (4 out of 10 year sentence); Sit-in at London School of Economics.

Weather Forecast: Frost early; sunny intervals; isolated showers; Maximum Temperature 5C (38F)

Actual Weather: Thawing; cloudy with showers; rather cold.

Rachel’s (20months): Again very troublesome during the day and night.

1 - my boss
2 - a local architect
3 - a work colleague
4 - another work colleague
5 - my older brother
6 - my life-long best friend

PS I am fully aware of the contradiction contained there in

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 20:09:31 PM by Highlander »

Offline suehugh

Re: 1977 and all that
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 21:38:15 PM »
Do you still keep a diary Highlander. This entry was most interesting to an outsider for the news and weather of the day.
But for you it must be a trip back in time and well worth keeping

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 21:55:46 PM »
No I don't suehugh. Sometimes I wish I did, other times I think "God - how boring will this sound in ten years - so I never made the time.

You were of course correct - the news and weather of the day were the most interesting.    ;)

The other thing is that my hand writing (normally pretty acceptable I think) is shocking in the diary - almost eligible.

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 22:03:07 PM »
You inspired me to go and take a look at one of my diaries of my youth.  1980, aged 13.  The entry read:

"No cards. Boo"

And you thought yours was boring!  I continued reading for the next 20 minutes and the year did not improve.

Offline suehugh

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 22:03:29 PM »
I don't think the content was boring , just pertinent to you.
But for me it would be fascinating to see what my thoughts were so long ago.
I'm sure your descendants would love to pore over this stuff in future years.
So maybe the occasional page. If only to keep your writing hand functioning as well.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 22:12:27 PM »
Your very kind suehugh.

There are 303 more entries :o :o :o

I will however consider posting the entry from the 14th of each month.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 22:18:27 PM »

And you thought yours was boring!  I continued reading for the next 20 minutes and the year did not improve.

Go on lynne - post one - it cannot be as boring as mine  :)

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 09:03:31 AM »
Mine for 1977 feb 5 would have read: oh well here I am, only 18 and going to be married at 11am, I really don't want to get married, shall I tell my parents? After all the money they've splashed out maybe they will be annoyed!

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »
I've kept a diary for most of my life.  It started as a reminder for sending cards for birthdays etc. and then became quite addictive.  It was quite racy during some years, sad at others, and nowadays its usually downright dull.  After writing yesterdays addition  (Tesco am went to garden centre, bought some heathers, home to cook mince!)  I seriously think I need to get a life!!!

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 15:13:17 PM »
No I don't suehugh. Sometimes I wish I did, other times I think "God - how boring will this sound in ten years - so I never made the time.

You were of course correct - the news and weather of the day were the most interesting.     ;)

The other thing is that my hand writing (normally pretty acceptable I think) is shocking in the diary - almost eligible.
I found absolutely NO problem in reading this " H " !!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf