Author Topic: Archiving Old Topics  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Archiving Old Topics
« on: August 31, 2006, 14:04:20 PM »
The website has passed 80,000 posts and is a lumbering mass of information - some of it old and outdated.

I have archived all posts in the Flights section over 12 months old, and will now do the same with both Bars & Restaurants and Buying Property sections.

Recommendations change - waiters, barmen, chefs, move on - as do exciting new developments and property prices - so recommendations from two years ago don't mean that much. Anything under a year old will remain.

This will also prevent people picking up on 2004 topics and ressurecting them - often that confuses other members, till they realise the dates of earlier posts.

Archived topics never die - all archived topics will remain in the database and can be found using the 'normal' search facility.

Scunner

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Archiving Old Topics
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 15:45:15 PM »
"This will also prevent people picking up on 2004 topics and ressurecting them - often that confuses other members, till they realise the dates of earlier posts."

Whatever happened to nostalgia? It's not what it used to be is it? Happy hours looking over past pontifications - "The lira will never reach 3 to £", "The new marina will be open in June 2005", "There are no plans for a Gocek tunnel", "Scunner is too dynamic to spend his Sundays floating around in a swimming pool in a rubber ring". Where are all these now? Who will remember the days of the Forum Wars with pages of invective over the evil "Garry" (usually spelled Gary) and his Fethiye-based Degalian Empire intent on Mugla domination?

I know Scunner says it is only the Flights, Bars and Property sections but I think we all know this kind of thin edge of the wedge. He claims he is only trying to remove things that confuse CB members - blimey, if that was true he would have his work cut out! Obviously this is a front behind which is a plan to obliterate history entirely. Beware CB members; all that stands between you and temporal annihilation is your collective memory.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Archiving Old Topics
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 15:52:32 PM »
It is Scunners site, Colwyn, he is allowed to run it as he chooses, so there.And before you ask, yes I am proud to call him a friend.
Gordon.

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Archiving Old Topics
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 23:35:26 PM »
Gordon  its a forum. Allow Colwyn an opinion!

Offline philrose

Archiving Old Topics
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 05:44:27 AM »
Colwyn/Gordon, the topics are to be archived NOT deleted so no information will be lost and as Scunner said can be recalled through the search facility.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 05:45:27 AM by philrose »

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
Archiving Old Topics
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 07:10:37 AM »
Methinks Colwyn's post was a bit tongue in cheek

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Archiving Old Topics
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 09:00:12 AM »
Gordon had his humbug hat on.

Oh dear he always has his "humbug" hat on..:D just no sense of humour some.. ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Archiving Old Topics
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 09:13:21 AM »
Janet, "a bit tongue in cheek"? What? Do you think that perhaps I wasn't absolutely serious about Scunner being a cross between Dr Who, the Daleks, and Ming the Merciless with his plans to abolish history, exterminate members, and take over the universe? Surely not.

Offline Dippey

Archiving Old Topics
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 10:50:56 AM »
I've noticed Scunner has a sinister laugh when stroking his keyboard ready to wreak inauspicious and catastrophic disaster on us all.[xx(]

Dippz
(going to lie down, used to many long words).

Offline tan n dame

• Leeds, UK
Archiving Old Topics
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 13:03:26 PM »
if scunner wants to laugh when STROKING his KEYBOARD who are we to judge:D:D:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf