Author Topic: calls from Turkey  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Chunky KitKat

calls from Turkey
« on: June 07, 2006, 09:47:36 AM »
I'll be in Calis next week and will be making several calls to the UK from my mobile. Last time I did this the call charges were stunning. I've seen several threads about calling Turkey from the UK but what about going the other way. Can I buy a new SIM card or something? As ours is a new villa we don't have a telephone line.

many thanks

Mark

Offline amca

calls from Turkey
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 09:57:01 AM »
If only making a few calls maybe buying a phone card would be better for you. If your phone is unlocked then yes you can buy a turkcell or avea sim card and the charges per call and text are much better than using your UK sim card.

Offline amca

calls from Turkey
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »
correction ...... texts for me have been much the same price.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
calls from Turkey
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 12:23:34 PM »
Use the phone call shops that route your call through the computer, bit like Skype. I think there are a couple in Calis.
Or buy a prepaid Hasretkarti  available in 3/5/10 TL denominations Then use any phone to dial the free Superonline acess number When prompted dial your card number followed by the number you are calling and it routes you in a similar way to the first option. Claims to save you up to 85% on international calls. Cards are available from Dogus Electronic Market on the top road out of Fethiye & possibly other places as well.
I have a similar system on my home phone but there is a little black box that automatically routes my call. Works very well. :)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
calls from Turkey
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 12:29:01 PM »
A 5 TL HasretKarti (500 Units) will give you 25 minutes to England or 7 minutes to a UK mobile :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 12:30:16 PM by tribalelder »

Offline Chunky KitKat

calls from Turkey
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 13:02:45 PM »
that's great, if I want to go the sim card route can most shops unlock the phone?
Mark

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
calls from Turkey
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 15:56:17 PM »
Most of the shops.....most of the phones. :)

Offline Neisha

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 20:22:21 PM »
Mark, phoning from aturkish sim is much cheaper than from an english one - theres lots of rumour about how long it will last etc etc but its well worth getting one and taking a chance that you can use it on your next trip
:D

Offline Connor

• Prat in the hat
calls from Turkey
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 08:59:18 AM »
I heard that if you get a Turkish SIM, it has to be used once in a while in order to keep it current, otherwise you lose any unused credit. Is this true?
I also read that All Aspects will do this for you as part of one of their care packages.

Offline DANIELLE

• Oldham, Manchester, UK
calls from Turkey
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 16:33:09 PM »
Yes thats correct you do loose any credit if not used within 3 months and all aspects will take care of you sim for you when your not in turkey they will also
get your sim card for you they did for us

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf