Author Topic: Dongle in Fethiye  (Read 9206 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
I have read through all the info and now have a better understanding of dongles. So if I bring a laptop with me to Turkey can I just go into Turkcell and ask for a dongle, would I expect to pay around 50tlform it plug it into a usb port and then I am connected to the internet? Thanks for any answers I do not want to waste nearly all my hand luggage allowance bringing a laptop with me if I can not use it once in Turkey!

Offline kevin b

Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 13:27:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Karennina

I have read through all the info and now have a better understanding of dongles. So if I bring a laptop with me to Turkey can I just go into Turkcell and ask for a dongle, would I expect to pay around 50tlform it plug it into a usb port and then I am connected to the internet? Thanks for any answers I do not want to waste nearly all my hand luggage allowance bringing a laptop with me if I can not use it once in Turkey!

You pay 140tl for dongle then buy sim card then pay for internet access which has just gone down to 29tl for 4gb valid for 1 month.

Offline jfm

Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 19:59:30 PM »
does any one know if a unlocked dongle was a 3g or any other unlocked dongle would work if you just bought the sim card,i asked when i was in turkey but the shop said no i think they just wanted you to buy the complete package and can you buy weekly or just monthly usage
thanks
jimmy

Offline kevin b

Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
You can get a weekly deal but is is not much cheaper than a monthly deal.No idea if unlocked dongle will work here.

Offline VR2

Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 14:14:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Karennina

If you fly Pegasus, you have an 8Kg allowance for hand luggage PLUS a laptop (I guess you'll be carrying in a laptop bag which has extra storage and no weight restriction within reason) so if you think it will be useful - bring it with you. I used my laptop bag as my hand luggage last year coming out as well as an additional rucksack. If your laptop has wi-fi there are plenty of places you can use them in the Calis area now. Store and view your photos, listen to music and communicate via skype with friends and family back home - brilliant!

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 23:09:33 PM »
Athnvr technical question from me re dongles, is it possible to buy a dongle in the UK and bring it to Turkey to use, will it work if purchased in the UK? Coming out Monday night so any answers gratefully received before then!

Offline kevin b

Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »
A uk one should work with uk sim card but will be expensive so why not just use free wifi from most bars.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »
ebay sell unlocked dongles a lot cheaper than people are talking about paying in Turkey. Has anyone tried buying an unlocked one and using with a Turkish sim?

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 12:22:56 PM »
Ive had a response from a very helpful ebay seller re dongles:

'yes it will work in Turkey as long as the network you are going to use is working on 2100MHz (what is most likely as it's standard for Europe) Turkcell certainly is.'

So, my next question, is can I go into a Turkcell or Vodafone shop and just get a mobile internet sim on payg without buying their dongle?

Kevin B said its 29tl for a 4gb a month, not sure who this is with, do they all charge about the same?
And do I just need my passport to buy it?

Offline yakamoz

Dongle in Fethiye
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »
I will be coming to Ovacik for 3 months in May and would like to use laptop whilst there. Don't want to take out to bars/cafe to WIFI would like to use at 'home' to send/receive e-mails and various bits and pieces on internet. Would I be better with UK purchased dongle or Turkish option.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf