Author Topic: Getting a landline and ADSL  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Carolyn1957

Getting a landline and ADSL
« on: July 16, 2011, 16:36:28 PM »
Hi all

Could someone advise me of the process/what documentation etc we will need to apply for initially a landline and then internet please?

I know where the Turk Telekom building is - can we just turn up there and if so, what will we need to take? We have our Residency.

Once we have our landline can we apply for internet from the TTNet offices in Fethiye by the dolmus station or do we have to go elsewhere?

We live in Kemer - would or could that make a difference?

Thank you all. I know there is probably advice already on this but knowing how quickly goalposts move around here I thought you could help with the latest procedures.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 16:43:48 PM »
You will need your residency a copy of your Tapu, drivers licence or other proof of ID. There is a girl who works there speaks good English tel them you want internet as well, but the last one we did for a freind we had to go back after the phone line was done. Usually the next day or sometimes the same day. The internet is done in the same office and they will give you a free modem.
You have to get your own electrian to wire it from the box in your garden to the telephone point in the house, only takes a few minutes.
mark
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 16:44:41 PM by karaokemark »

Offline screamlead

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 17:01:02 PM »
Ditto - all done in same office. Turk telecom only install the line from the nearest pole and will connect it to the roof somewhere but will not connect it to the telephone box in your villa - only two wires though to connect. Also theres some good offers on for the internet from TTNET at the moment too.

Offline Carolyn1957

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 17:18:34 PM »
Thank you both - that's great! We've managed on a Turkcell dongle in the past but now we're here full-time I realise how many gbs I guzzle! Must be the Skype video calls to family that's doing it.

We'll have a wander down next week (hopefully) and get it sorted.

Offline johnboy1967

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 17:35:34 PM »
if i were you i would look into all options for internet as ttnet are not very good...!! we have had to have them out 4 times in the last 2 weeks and still the internet is really really slow...

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 17:47:59 PM »
Got our phone and internet set up 3 months ago took all of 4 hours from walking into Telecom office to getting the phone working and another 24 hours and the internet was on. Maybe being 100 metres from them helped.
So far the calls and net have been brilliant - so no complaints here.

Offline simpsons

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 19:18:06 PM »
Carolyn, can I also suggest that when you apply to get TTNet, if you can afford it, get the unlimited download package, as with the cheaper package you only get 4gb download per month, which if you go over can end up costing you more than the unlimited package, especially if you download a lot of films, photos or music. The current unlimited price is 55ytl per month, but well worth it, also you may get this cheaper for a while on one of their deals.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 19:18:57 PM by simpsons »

Offline johnboy1967

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 20:10:02 PM »
like i said though look at all the options first... As we have the 55tl package and are still getting less than 1 meg download speed most days... Total waste of time for watching Uk tv or downloading anything...

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 07:47:45 AM »
Johnboy we had loads of problems only getting 360kbs when we moved to our new house, we use Smile ADSL, I have no problems with the company they sent people many times but it was the same old story, it is the line not us. They did get Turk Telecom to change it and we now get 1 meg.
The good news is they are now laying high speed fibre optic cables all over the area. I was told by both Smile and Turk Telecom mine will be done in the next month (Turkish time) and I will get 8mb.
We live near the upside down bridge. As I drive round Fethiye area I have seen at least 3 teams laying cables so it will happen one day
Mark

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 10:31:51 AM »
As the broadband speed is largely, but not exclusively, driven by how near it is to the local telephone exchange.  Does anyone know where the local exchange/s are located in the Fethiye area.  This would be useful information as it might help some people to understand the speed they are receiving, and the speed those who are looking to take a broadband service will receive.

Good news on the laying of fibre, it will be interesting to see whether they will extend it from the cabinet (or node) near to your home, providing you with a 8 to 15 meg service, to a fibre service direct to your home itself.  In principle this could mean unlimted bandwidth (well into the future anyway) but will almost certainly provide a 40meg speed, both up and downstream. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:33:36 AM by usedbustickets »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf