Author Topic: Turkcell Mifi  (Read 18772 times)

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
Turkcell Mifi
« on: May 02, 2015, 17:06:30 PM »
Recently used a friends Turkcell mifi when I was in Turkey. It worked with up to five devices, ipads, iphones and anything else that uses wifi.  Does anybody know how much these cost, and what you have to top them up by each month? and what happens if you only use them for two months and then return to UK for six months....can you just buy another sim when you return and if so how much does that cost? Many thanks for any help.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: Turkcell Mifi
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 18:05:22 PM »
Ian is your man for this question but I'm sure he will correct me if I get it wrong. The Turkcell Vinn Wifi unit will cost you around 280 lira, this includes the SIM card. You can then buy data top ups, 5meg. 10meg. Etc. these stay active for as long as you have unused data up to a maximum of three months, after which time any unused data is lost. The 10 meg top up will cost you 79 lira and unless you are watching HD movies, it should see you through the three months period.

Offline tails77

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 18:50:27 PM »
We purchased the Vinn wifi device for 150 lira. The simm was extra, possibly up to 50 lira. 39 lira for 4 GB for a month. I think you are covered for 9 months. The turkcell shop checked that the simm from our Vinn dongle was still active, so that we could use it in the Vinn Wifi. If you have turkcell mobile, you can check your credit left on the simm. If you do buy it, make sure you switch devices off, when not using the Internet, as your credit could quickly dwindle.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 21:43:53 PM »
Hi - can't add a lot more other than to say - they regularly have a promotion on these units (like now) but to get the promotional price (125 tl) you have to go to one of the official Turkcell shops where the staff wear Turkcell uniforms as opposed to local agents.

I use the one near the Otogar (near Erasta) and there are a few others around in town. They sometimes still try to charge you 150 tl but you say internet'de kampanyalar - 125 lira - and then you should get that price - or print off this link:

http://www.turkcell.com.tr/cihazlar/vinn-ailesi/vinn-wifi-mf65m?place=device_category

Also for longer stays I buy 10 GB for 79 tl which lasts for 3 months. I was initially told you had to top up every 6 months - but you can even pay 12 tl for a week. So when they give you the SIM - they pop it out of a plastic card which I always take to the local shop to top up to make sure he has the correct number - so leave that card with a friend and they can put 12 tl (there is a cheaper tariff for a day - think it might be 7 lira) on it after say 3 months and it keeps it "live" so your 6 months starts from this new date and your friend doesn't even have to have the MIFI unit to do that.

Finally I tested mine last week and even though we now have "Finet" which is satellite internet I decided to put a week on it as I want it as a "back up" for when we have power cuts or problems with "Finet". I tested the speed and it was running at 6 mb download and 2.5 mb upload which is faster than my "Finet" and I always thought it was faster than the original VINN dongle which is an added bonus for you.

Oh - I remember Loz said "these units would work with a 3 sim in the UK - so you can get a friend to top up your Turkish SIM whilst using the unit in the UK with your 3 payg SIM - useful if you only go back to the UK for a few months and don't want or cannot have a landline?      ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:09:39 AM by Ian »

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 00:14:02 AM »
I have one of these and I have had the same sim for about 4 years (first used with a VINN dongle) and the longest it has been left un topped up is about 7 months.

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:35:27 AM »
Ian- could you tell us more about the "Finet" system please? I have never heard of this. Is this similar to the "Tooway" satellite system?

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 08:08:50 AM »
We have only had it for a month so early days. So far they are delivering what they promised - unlimited internet at speeds of 2 to 4 mb ( I am averaging 3.5 mb which is good enough to stream filmon ) - and you pay monthly but only whilst you are in Turkey. When in UK - don't pay and they turn off the signal and reactivate when you start paying again. See: www.finet.com.tr

No direct debits or contracts - no landline or cables - just a receiver about the size of a small milk pan on the roof cabled to your modem.

We have just "popped back to UK" so let it lapse and waiting to see if reactivation is problem free :-)

These networks - based on masts - are popping up all down the coast line. Marmaris.net seems to serve as far as Dalaman and has los of very happy users!

Finer are "supposedly" adding masts to their network as currently there are some areas in Fethiye (in the mountains mainly) where you cannot get it yet.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 20:11:50 PM »
ian where do you go to get finet

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 06:44:55 AM »
I'm in the process of trying to get Finet.
Their office was along near 1 IM on the road into Fethiye.
We were advised that they had moved to the Karacula road and went in search on Friday but couldn't find it.
Rang various different numbers til someone answered and said they were closed but to call again Monday, which o will be doing very soon.

The best offer TTnet could give me was 71 TL for 2 year contract, so this has to be worth a try at 30tl and can't be any worse, or can it?
Will keep you posted.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 07:53:44 AM »
Puma - I got it when they were based near the original eren spot shop in town - it was almost like a kiosk on a street corner but I have been told  you now go down the Gunlukbasi road to the main lights before the Otogar and turn left away from town and they are a few hundred yards down on the left hand side above a shop.

I lived in that area for a few years so know it well and will have a walk around.

They do seem low overhead but I know they have been around for more than a year so I am prepared to give them a go as the horror stories of TTNET made me stay clear of them.

If you are a prodigious streamer of films and TV or do a lot of uploading I feel it might not be the answer as speeds of 3 mb at have limitations but having said that we have watched the last few Britain's Got Talent without a problem and I listen to Radio 4 every morning - Match of the Day on Sunday mornings with lots of Skype calls and browsing by both of us - with few problems - so pleased so far      ;)

Ps oh and on their web site it says it works in Uzumlu and Ciftlik but I believe they have not got masts in Ovacik / Olu Deniz yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf