Author Topic: mobile phones  (Read 10344 times)

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
mobile phones
« on: October 31, 2005, 19:20:02 PM »
has anyone registered there mobile phone here yet if so how? my mobile nos not on the computors register therefore will be cut off if i dont register it soon. i understand it cost 5ytl but tried to pay turk telcom at main fethiye office yesrterday, they new about it but didnt know how to register, told me to wait till i got info on mobile message as they were in the dark the same as me. will try some of the turkcell shops next!! i think all uk bought mobile phones with turkish sim cards will be blocked in the future if no action is taken. i think we have till december to do it!![?]

Offline apollo

mobile phones
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 08:34:21 AM »
A lot of people have tried to register around the country,including Istanbul, without success.

My wife tried to register in Antalya and  was told to wait until November to register. The mobile message is, I believe, a warning that you will be blocked. In any case you have until the 13th of December. that is when all phones will be blocked.

All phones bought outside of Turkey will be affected.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
mobile phones
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 10:06:56 AM »
So does that mean my turkish sim wont work next year if I dont register it soon? If so can anyone out there advise on how to avoid that situation. Is there a website for example that we can use- if its possible to do it remotely that is? I'm sure there are many of us who have got Turkish sims who wouldnt want to start over with a new one next visit.

Offline apollo

mobile phones
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 10:45:07 AM »
Even with a Turkish sim card, if the phone was not bought in Turkey it will be blocked.

I don't think you can do it remotely. The website with the information ( in Turkish) is

www.http://imei.tk.gov.tr

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
mobile phones
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 14:20:33 PM »
So basically anyone with a Turkish sim and a non-turkish phone is screwed and will have to get a new one next year. Is that correct? will we have to buy Turkish hardware too? Makes me laugh, the number of handsets weve given away over the years to waiters etc! What a bummer.

Offline sandgrounder

mobile phones
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 17:31:59 PM »
All you need to do is take your phone to one of the shops in Fethiye and get it "chipped" :)

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
mobile phones
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 18:20:39 PM »
i think this is a different issue than just getting it chipped!! if you dont regester your phone as apollo says before dec 13 you will be permenantly blocked and so far no one seems to have been able to get registered!! this may be a way of getting people to buy thier phones in turkey in the future...watch this space!!

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
mobile phones
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 18:39:37 PM »
I too went to Turk telecom to register my english handset, they looked at me as if I had just jumped off another planet.  
But I have read somewhere else that you will not have to buy another handset just pay Turk Tele com 5ytl to register you phone! Turk Telecom must be running out of money! but I suppose it would be a good idea to inform the staff first of any changes, makes a change where we are the ones usually to learn last.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 18:41:17 PM by loz »

Offline teresa321

mobile phones
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 19:02:59 PM »
Is this referring to English/foreign handsets fitted with Turkish sims or all handsets? I can't see people coming on holiday for 2 weeks being impressed if their phones don't work. Sounds a bit odd!

Teresa

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
mobile phones
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 19:04:10 PM »
There is an article in land of lights will see if i can dig it out

Ron

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf