Author Topic: How can I best get UK TV when in Turkey?  (Read 6019 times)

Offline DavidNicholson

How can I best get UK TV when in Turkey?
« on: July 23, 2018, 13:28:07 PM »
We have a villa in Ovacik and visit two to three times a year for a total of around 6 weeks. 
We have a TV with a NileSat dish, but apart from BBC World News and about two other channels that show films, there is nothing else on that we want to watch.
We do have internet on site, but I am thinking of getting FiNet and just paying for the months we are there as the site one is not that stable.
So, I know it is possible to stream TV over the internet, and I know that there can be problems with streaming being blocked when outside of the UK.
What I need help with is "What is the best solution"?  What do I need in terms of hardware and software?
Ideally we would like to be able to watch some UK TV from time to time - for example, when we were last out we would have loved to have been able to watch a few Wimbledon Matches and some of the World Cup.
Any advice will be gratefully received.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Re: How can I best get UK TV when in Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 17:39:32 PM »
Good luck with getting Finet installed here 4 weeks later and were still waiting for them to turn up! What about a firestick with apps on there is a member on here who loads the firesticks with all you should need...

Offline Shrek

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 18:34:38 PM »
Sitting in Calis typing this on my iPad while watching BBC2 through a firestick with no buffering all connected to Finet. I’m around for the next 4 weeks so if you are around I’ll happily show you it working or configure a stick if you have one

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »
Hi Shrek,  Thanks for the kind offer but we are not back out until mid September.
Karennina, Do you know who the member is as that sounds like a good solution?  I like to think I am not a complete dunce with technology, but all this Fire-stick business is totally new to me so it would be a steep learning curve.  As soon as I start hearing or reading "VPN" or "Smart DNS" I feel like a lie down in a darkened room.  I am sure I could learn it, but it would probably put even more years on me!
Something ready configured, that does not break the bank, and that works around the blocking problems would be perfect.

Offline Shrek

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 19:28:41 PM »
Hi David, get yourself a firestick while your in the uk it won’t break the bank £35 I think. Have a look on YouTube for advice on how to configure it 100’s of videos out there. All the apps and builds I put on sticks all work without the need of a VPN in Turkey, but I use one to watch BBC iPlayer, itv hub or any other catchup service or when watching 3pm premiership kickoff’s, bt or sky back in the uk

Offline charlste

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 09:10:43 AM »
What app do you use for 3pm kick offs Shrek?

Offline Shrek

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 19:55:51 PM »
Red Box or TV Tapp, usually find them on the American or Canadian channels
Get the app Live Football TV on your phone it gives alternative channels for the 3pm kickoffs worldwide

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 23:15:18 PM »
 Hi david,  are you still in Calis,  if so i know the member,  pm me & i will give you his details.

Lee

Hi Shrek,  Thanks for the kind offer but we are not back out until mid September.
Karennina, Do you know who the member is as that sounds like a good solution?  I like to think I am not a complete dunce with technology, but all this Fire-stick business is totally new to me so it would be a steep learning curve.  As soon as I start hearing or reading "VPN" or "Smart DNS" I feel like a lie down in a darkened room.  I am sure I could learn it, but it would probably put even more years on me!
Something ready configured, that does not break the bank, and that works around the blocking problems would be perfect.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf