Author Topic: Insect bites  (Read 4452 times)

Offline salford Al

Insect bites
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »
I am being bitten to death by insects. They bite and within a couple of days a weeping sore comes up followed by a yellow crust and intense itching. I have tried repellants but they still get through. I treat with Tiger Balm which gives some relief. Everyone seems to think it is the small black flies which hover in front of your face and they say it is when they harvest the corn but I have had them since April. This is the worst I have known them in seven years.

Does anyone know a good repellant and a magic cure for the itching?

Thanks in anticipation.

Al

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Re: Insect bites
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:34:59 AM »
Yes, they are midge bites, not mosquito bites.  I know this because after being bitten so badly a few years ago, I spotted a tiny speck between two fingers, and as I looked -it bit me!!!  Next day, blister, later crust.  So, who would have thought such a tiny thing coumd cause such a reaction.  I am so glad they arent bigger, little rotters.  Nightmare, especially when the bites are in your hair.  If anyone has an idea for prevention and cure, I would be very grateful.

Offline Stan

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
Hi salford Al ,little bit of info here, also if you use the search facility probably a lot more.
http://calis-beach.co.uk/forum/other_websites/half_price_avon_skin_so_soft..._mozzies._47551.msg281801.html#msg281801.

Hope you get sorted.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:55:58 AM »
The best thing you can use is Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray,  but as you are now in Turkey it would probably be difficult to get.   Try going to the Chemist opposite Migros in Fethiye town centre and speak to the guy, he is very good and I know lots of people, including me, get good results from a chat with this Chemist.  Also, to stop the itching get 1% Hydrocortisone cream  put it on as soon as you get the itch, but don't put it on broken skin.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:17:02 AM »
Sara who works in The Card Shop in Fethiye (near the Kultur Centre) is a rep for Avon.  You can order from her.

Offline screamlead

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »
KOV or OFF is quite a good repellant. As for sorting the sores out - quick dip in the sea (salt cures it) followed by a dip in a pool (bleach disinfects it!) Blot dry with soft towel dont rub. Trust me it works..

Offline hillside

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »
I dont have a prevention but for cure try Stilex jel available from chemists in Turkey. I bring a tube to UK as I'm bitten more here by midges than I am in Turkey.

Offline salford Al

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »
Thank you all for your help and quick response. Please keep suggestions coming in.

Al

Offline phil1839

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
Al,  Try Elocon Pomat, it is a tube of cream in a Pink Box.  If you put it on when the bite appears the swelling goes down and the itching stops.  You get it from the Chemists over here.  I will get Pat to put the tube in her handbag in case we see you out and about later.  Phil

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »
Benadryl allergy relief tablets-I find the ordinary ones rather than the one a day ones are best. Stops your body reacting to the bite and then if necessary use the tiger balm .

When I had big mozzie bites I went to the chemist and they sold me some cream which cost over £20 and did nothing!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf