Author Topic: Decline in Turkish Tourism  (Read 29414 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Decline in Turkish Tourism
« on: August 16, 2015, 18:57:22 PM »
I am extremely sceptical about Turkish statistics on tourism - and I am not someone who quotes that silly saying about lies, damned ... and so on. I just don't trust the basis on which these statistics are founded. However, the increasing number of surveys pointing in the same direction is becoming increasingly convincing. The Turkish tourist industry really does seem to be facing problems. What is the solution in Eastern Mediterranean economics? If the number of tourists goes down; increase the prices to make up for it! That will cure things, eh?

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-loses-british-tourists-in-addition-to-russians.aspx?pageID=238&nID=87026&NewsCatID=349

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Decline in Turkish Tourism
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 19:03:54 PM »
No, build another big hotel !

Offline apollo

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 19:47:15 PM »
Putting to one side the issues of politics and economic problems in Europe and Russia.

The whole concept of advertising what Turkey has got to offer has bypassed the the Tourism Ministry. A few photos of Ölü Deniz, The Blue Mosque and Cappadocia makes an attractive lid for the box of promised goodies. But when the lid is taken off there is very little inside. No one seems to have grasped the importance of a joined up tourism plan.

It seems that when the tourists get off the plane, it really is a case of this is what we have got like it lump it. No effort is made to extend the season before June, Easter is some strange Christian custom and the tourism industry in this part of  Turkey, is for some reason  ignored and  to extend the season beyond the end of August is inconceivable.

Locally golf courses and ski resorts are promised but hey ho! the tourists will continue to come and carry on sitting  on the beach as they have done for decades.

They do not see the competition of Spain, Florida or The West Indies as something to worry about. Poor , indifferent service and dull cuisine somehow is not their problem.

A bit of a disjointed rant ,I know. But when you hear bars and restaurants whinging about where are the tourists this year it makes me angry!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 21:19:27 PM »
I agree with a fair amount of that. It does seem that year after year those who don't up their game are the ones complaining and asking where all the tourists are. Staple parts of the tourism offer (alcohol, meat, fuel etc) rise at alarming rates due to taxation and other economic factors (that could be reversed, even if only partly) quite obviously will affect tourism negatively but are deemed acceptable. Tourism contributes around 11% to the overall economy - a larger contributor to their GDP than agriculture.

Accepted the exchange rate helps but that is a negative economic trend.

I despair of the Blue Mosque/Dalyan Delta/belly dancer adverts which haven't changed in over a decade. Turkey needs to attract those who have inaccurate visions of Turkey - desert, curly shoes, food poisoning - and all the rest. Showing them an old wooden boat moored up won't change their view, no matter how blue the bay looks.

Furthermore, groups like the Hisaronu one on Facebook tells of poorer service, poorer quality food and shorter tempered restaurant owners who appear to be giving less and when confronted by disappointed diners can only show them the door and throw in a few choice phrases ending with off. The old, tired best form of defence being attack, seen several times by most of us.

People don't need to come to Turkey and it's high time they realised it, and ditched the "if they don't like it they can p*** off" attitude. Many people I speak to don't like it but more importantly don't need to like it.

As apollo said, the competition is up for it and doing a good job. Greece became too arrogant, now they have had to revert to warm and friendly again because they can't lose the tourism. As we have spoken about many times on here, Spain and Portugal are far cheaper to fly to, closer, food is cheap and plentiful (no rice chips & salad to fill half the plate to hide the miserable portion) - wine, beer and spirits fabulous value - and that's the point, it's like Turkey used to be.

The exchange rate is good, it needs to be.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 21:34:51 PM »
I have read on T.A. that Hisaronu is very quiet this year and even the loud music has been dampened down.
I have to say I would run a mile from anywhere with a belly dancer.  We did a belly dancer evening when we first came to Calis, never again.    We thought it was a tradional evening with a belly dancing exhibition. However, a  girl wth the biggest chest I have ever seen, appeared, did a bit of wiggling around and then dragged a lot of men from the audience to strip off to the waist and dance with her.  Phil was mortified as he is quite quiet and shy and he said no way was she going to drag him up.   It was totally embarassing.  After this and seeing some belly dancers in local restaurants over the years as we passed by, we realised this was the norm.   I suppose the Turks think this is want the Brits want???    Perhaps it is time to re-think this tourist attraction. ??
I also think that the cost of flights to Turkey is far too much.  We could fly to the States for the same price we fly to Turkey.  Phil has suggested we sell up in Turkey and get a place in Spain, as the flights would be cheaper.
However, I love our place in Turkey, but in time to come it may be better and more financially right to move on.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 21:42:20 PM »
I think I love the Turkey I lived in. We go and feel relaxed, we love the food from the fresh bread at breakfast to the Adana Kebap at dinner. We miss and love to see a list of friends out there which is forever declining, as is the list of restaurants and bars we "must" go to. The charm we fell in love with seems diluted (and in some cases gone) nowadays to me. The Turkey I fell in love with slowly disappears, and with that other destinations become more attractive.

And certainly not being able to get rid of your spends is long gone   ;)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 22:13:20 PM »
Maybe it's time to move on then Keith? To be honest I'm getting pretty sick of the 'lived here, done that, now crap' brigade. Of course it's not perfect, it never was but there are lots of new people (like ourselves) who love living here. Give us a break for gods sake

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 22:23:23 PM »
Well there was no need for that as far as I can see?

I was talking about us, not you. Sometimes it's not all about you George. I know many people who live there and are blissfully happy with life. I am delighted for them and also when people contact me and tell me they are seriously considering moving to Turkey I tell them to get packed and go follow their dreams. I have never told people it's crap now don't bother or anything like it.

Hence I wrote that I pang for the Turkey I lived in. That is slowly going/changing and so have I in terms of full time living - so we get all we need in the few holidays we manage over there.

Why would it be time to move on? We visit and really enjoy our vists. I think I may have said that, now when did I say that...oh yes, within the last hour - We go and feel relaxed, we love the food from the fresh bread at breakfast to the Adana Kebap at dinner. We miss and love to see a list of friends out there which is forever declining, as is the list of restaurants and bars we "must" go to.

The topic is about declining tourism figures George, not ex-pat numbers, or whether it is crap living there now - and as is the right of all members I was innocently suggesting why figures might be down lately.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 23:05:28 PM »
"I think I loved the Turkey I lived in" says it all for me Keith. It's like kids sweeping chimneys is somehow nostalgic

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 23:08:22 PM »
Yes I stand by that, I prefer the Turkey I lived in to the Turkey now and therefore can do all I want to in a week or two, I don't need 52 weeks.

I think I loved the Turkey I lived in. I think you love the Turkey you live in.

Ok for you to have a preference but not for me. I get it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf