Author Topic: Turkey's Dark Future.  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Turkey's Dark Future.
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »
This is an excellent piece.   One thing I did not realise was there are 20 million Kurds living in Turkey.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7906588

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Turkey's Dark Future.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:45:49 AM »
The core of the article is good, he sums things up pretty succinctly - however, he wrote this nearly six weeks ago and things have moved on fairly dramatically.  The number of Kurds arrested compared to alleged IS sympathisers/activist is a lot more than the 350 mentioned in the article.

The Polis and Army casualties have also risen dramatically and we now have the equivalent of martial law imposed in many regions in the south east of the country.

How an election can be held under these circumstances is incredible.  But then again, these regions are where the HDP got the mosts votes...

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:41:16 AM »
One thing I did not realise was there are 20 million Kurds living in Turkey.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7906588
Yes Your Maj a great number indeed, and a great number of them have cooked and served you in Calis too.  Did you know they were Kurdish? Probably not unless they told you.  We Brits rarely know whether someone is Kurdish or Turkish.  Possibly because for us it was not important, but for many nationalist, and indeed devote, Turks it is very important, and they do know who is Kurdish.  Or more particularly who is and who is not Turkish.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:50:49 AM »
Yes, I did know about the Kurds in Calis and in Fethiye.  I am friends with a couple of them and it does not matter to me a fig.  I did think it strange a few years ago when one of the boys with the scales came around and a waiter said to me that the boy was a Kurd..  I  thought, so what, I then asked the waiter would he marry a Kurd and he was shocked and told me, "No Way".   
I remember in the old Tadim Restaurant the waiter told us that all the waiters there were Kurds and then went on to tell us all about his home town.  He was a proud man.   I also remember an ex-pat telling me the staff in Casa De Mama were Kurds, which again I found to be of no real interest to me.
As Reg does not like these people. Phil and I were surprised to read there were so many living in Turkey.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 14:44:59 PM »
Kurdish people attacked this week in Tasyaka,for being Kurdish !

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 15:14:11 PM »
Thats a shame.  The violence appears to be spreading along the coast, places like Alanya and Side have seen anti Kurdish demonstrations - shops and other businesses have been set on fire and a good number of folks hurt.  I even heard that there has been trouble in Altinkum.

I sincerely hope we don't see the same happening in Fethiye.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 15:18:25 PM »
The main focus was in Tasyaka at the Oz Izmir bakery which is owned by a Kurdish family.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 00:07:38 AM »
We've had three nights of protests in Fethiye with people driving around and around Fethiye on their bikes and in cars sounding their horns... The bakers is the same one that was attacked last year in Taşyaka. This time it has  had a heavy police day and night with TOMA's on standby. The road was closed off every night after the first night of protest congratulated outside their shop causing a disturbance for several hours.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 06:22:46 AM »
Tsk. Predictive text eh ?  ;)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 13:52:34 PM »
Seems that there was trouble in The Beach Bar on Calis front last night. Lots young Turks rushing in throwing bottles, hitting each other with batons and fighting with the staff there. The customers were scared to death.. Don't know if it is because the owners and staff ar Kurdish or because it it the usual end of season fights between the bars.. B52's, Scarletts and the previous MCN used to knock spots of each other due to jealousy of the competition. There is a lot of animosity about at the moment.  Either way not good for the tourist trade..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf