Author Topic: Twenty people injuried in two explosions in Ankara  (Read 6107 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Twenty people injuried in two explosions in Ankara
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 14:27:06 PM »
CBF logo very fitting :(

Offline lissa

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 17:42:37 PM »
JohnF is correct, no police nor security staff  seem to have been injured or killed. How can this be, given that at any demonstration, they are always there. Not so long since Gezi Park.... Read into that what you will. :(

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 19:05:40 PM »
After the blast large crowds gathered and started chanting anti Erdogan and anti AKP slogans, and hey presto
the Polis flooded the area shooting their guns in the air to disperse the crowds. Tonight its water cannon and tea gas
as protests take place across Turkey. Also reports that the true death toll is  128. Awful times.     :'( :'(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 19:49:12 PM »
Many of you will have seen this image yesterday as it was a Reuters agency pic.  Some are describing it as iconic, personally I'd call it tragic.

Sadly, Izzettin Çevik a schoolteacher and his daughter Başak Sidar Çevik both died from their injuries.  His other daughter Nilgün was also killed and his wife Hatice seriously injured. 

Not much more you can say really...

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 20:10:21 PM »
That is dreadful and so sad.  We see pictures but do not know who the people are or their story, when we do, it is so upsetting.  I am gutted to read this.  It is a tragedy.  I hope his wife survives, but she has a huge hill to climb to try and re-build her life if she does.  Thanks for sharing this J.F.  It brings it all home how people have suffered and died.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 20:28:37 PM »
Exactly right Jacqui. Too horrific.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 20:50:40 PM »
A truly horrific video posted on Facebook by a Turkish friend of mine - I could only watch snippets because it's so graphic.

Certainly a huge culture difference JohnF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 20:57:13 PM »
Witnesses and victims’ families, as well as opposition parties, ascribed direct responsibility to the government for allegedly failing to provide any security measures ahead of the peace rally, saying police officers who arrived at the scene after the bombing fired teargas at grieving families who rushed there to inquire about their loved ones.

Kareem Shaheen in Ankara and Constanze Letsch in Istanbul

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 21:27:26 PM »
An eye witness told the BBC that riot police blocked a nearby road and refused to let ambulances through to help the injured.  Inhuman.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 21:33:25 PM »
It's good to see that the pious, sycophantic rag Yeni Şafak are on the case:

"One of the bombers had been identified as a male aged between 25-30 after analyzing bodies at the scene and taking fingerprints, the Yeni Şafak daily said."

Apparently they're also disclosing who really shot JFK on Wednesday and have an exclusive interview with the Turkish astronaut who walked on the moon before Neil Armstrong on Friday.

W@ankers.

An eye witness told the BBC that riot police blocked a nearby road and refused to let ambulances through to help the injured.  Inhuman.

Not just the BBC Kevin, it's been widely reported across certain parts of the Turkish media as well.  But of course it was done in the interests of "National Security".

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf