Author Topic: Dangerous Occupations Part Deux  (Read 3963 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Dangerous Occupations Part Deux
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 19:05:24 PM »

I don't think a lot will change in the coastal resorts, Turkish businessmen and a lot in the AKP realise
  the importance of foreign investment and foreign tourism. I think these people will have noticed the
  effect events in Egypt and Tunisia are having on their economies. I think any changes to ex pats
  lives would maybe concern alcohol and dress code and a drop in tourist numbers would result in
  less tourism based businesses, so less choice for the ex pats. So stock up with booze and be prepared
  to wear a onesie on the beach.
  I'll probably leave my Mankini's in the UK.          8)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 22:22:28 PM »
I actually think it's already been affecting us here.
AK areas get the bulk of the money in their areas, look at all the plans for Seydikemer, and how many unfinished projects in our little bubble.
Some touristic areas near Izmir who voted CHP now have their beaches controlled apparently by religious based groups.
Who's to say we won't be punished for being a CHP area.
When was the last time anyone saw a mozzie truck round here?
The number of flies is just awful this year and whilst staying in Yaniklar we overheard a few people saying they wouldn't come back to Turkey because of all the flies.
Small thing in the grand scheme of things, but it all has an impact.
Next year they'll be moaning about another poor season.

They're not interested in small fry like us, they want the big money and the non drinkers who won't taint their beliefs and i think we will see more all inclusives and Muslim hotels.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »

Spot on KK.

Some touristic areas near Izmir who voted CHP now have their beaches controlled apparently by religious based groups.
Who's to say we won't be punished for being a CHP area.

It's not just beaches that have been handed over to the Diyanet (Department of Religious Affairs, or some other pious title) but in some cases whole areas within towns.

Next year they'll be moaning about another poor season.

They're not interested in small fry like us, they want the big money and the non drinkers who won't taint their beliefs and i think we will see more all inclusives and Muslim hotels.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone say "we've had a great season!"

The Halal hotels are on the rise and you're right, thats the direction Turkey looks to be on in respect of the tourist dollar.  Over the past few years the biggest increases in tourism numbers has been from places like Iraq, Saudi etc.  Ok, the actual numbers don't compare with those from the UK, Russia and Scandinavia yet (I discount Germany for obvious reasons) but if this current government carries on down the road it's going, that gap will decrease.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf