Author Topic: New Istanbul airport opening in October, but at a cost.  (Read 2043 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
New Istanbul airport opening in October, but at a cost.
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:47:52 AM »
There's been various reports in the press suggesting that the government believe the new Istanbul airport will be open in October this year.

Great.  However, there have been reports that up to 400 workers have died during the construction process, both on site and travelling to the site.  This prompted a question in parliament from the CHP over these figures and the ministry of labour have responded that the actual death toll is 27.  Do you believe them...?  Not sure I do.

Even if it is only 27, it's still too many in my opinion.  HDN article here.

JF

Offline Stortman

• Formerly the artist known as Essexboy
Re: New Istanbul airport opening in October, but at a cost.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:03:54 AM »
Having actively been involved in working with the new airport and the authorities there, seeing how the work is done and with guys working 24/7 and trucks careering through what must have once been beautiful area outside Istanbul, I'd be surprised if the toll was as low as 400! It will look a fantastic place but really it is sheer vanity for the powers that be to think that it will take over as a regional East/West hub at the passenger levels they are predicting. Especially when you compare to the regional competition for the same passengers. Turkish Airlines will be delighted at all the new routes and it will be a great place to go through but it could turn into a white elephant.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 15:05:27 PM »
I see that they're planning to shut Ataturk Airport pretty quickly. What will be the new airport's code, or will it take on IST ?

Looks like the answer's on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_New_Airport

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 15:15:31 PM »
I don't think it's entirely a vanity project, as Ataturk seriously struggles with the current passenger numbers. I think I'll wait till I've travelled to and from it before being overly critical about the location, in the middle of bloody nowhere!

JF

Offline busybee

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 06:31:45 AM »
One death is too many !!! Obviously health and safety was at its highest level !! NOT!!! If its 27 thats shocking, more, !!!

Suggestion for a short destination, Instanbul-Ankara, Ak-Saray (White Palace).

Business class of course, beautiful hostesses, gourmet snacks and the best chi in Turkey.  Throw in a guided tour round the White Elephant, it would make a bloody fortune!!!

Enough lira to pay those families, that have lost their men, building it!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf