Author Topic: August Shop Opening  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Julesp

August Shop Opening
« on: July 29, 2011, 22:44:42 PM »
A big big thank you to all the shop volunteers for working in this heat

Many are going back to the Uk in august to visit friends and family and the Turk volunteers will be observing Ramazan, for this reason I would like to give advance notice that FiG maybe sometimes closed early or all day during August,

But at the moment we are open normal hours and welcome donations esp of clothes  :)

Offline Jenny Daly

August Shop Opening
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 17:23:30 PM »
Hi - Im new to this what is FiG is it a shop? charity shop? would like some more info please.  You have helped me out on this forum a couple of times and answered various questions that I have so thank you.  You seem to play a large part in the forum and have lots of good sound advice re different subjects.  I am looking to do some voluntary work next year - any advice?? I would like to help with Animal Carity Aid in particular and have contacted Tinkerman - but not had an answer ( im sure he is very busy ) It can wait till I move over but I was just interested in what you do. Thanks

Offline Julesp

August Shop Opening
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 21:56:17 PM »
Hi FiG stands for Fethiye International Group, the 1st charity to be registered in the Fethiye area
We raise money for numerous causes from equipping the poorer village schools, providing bursaries for university students, helping the children with Thalasseamia and their families and supporting and providing help to families and their children with special educational or health needs. We also support the local deaf organization who train people with hearing difficulties to try to get them into work

This is the link to our webpage http://www.figfethiye.org/

The charity shop was 1st run as a book exchange, where we started off with some books and charged 1 lire to borrow or exchange a book. The idea was that we would raise money to buy books for schools, with the slogan A book for a Book
This grew into selling second hand clothes and goods 2 days a week, 2 years ago we found it to be so successful that we searched for new premises and found and opened our new shop, this was when I joined FiG as they were looking for someone with retail experience, which I have, to co ordinate the initial design Layout and running of the shop
Now a big part of our fundraising, our 2nd hand shop which with the help of volunteers is open 5 days a week 51 weeks of the year, we do close for a week over the Christmas and New Year period as we find that most volunteers want the time to celebrate then, is very busy and we are always looking for donations, most new donations when in good condition, sells within an hour of being put on the rails :D

Another successful fundraising event is our Wednesday morning coffee mornings where people come to meet for a chat while drinking coffee and sampling the homemade cakes, so successful in fact that we now have a rota for cake making as so many slices are sold!

I hope the shop can remain open through most of August despite 8 out of our regular 14 volunteers being away for all of the month, thanks to the 6 remaining volunteers working extra days and with a skeleton staff, a big thanks to these people as the weather is also so hot now! I was in the shop today and can vouch how busy they were!

Anyway hope that gives you and everyone else who is interested an insight into a couple of the ways we raise mone We always welcome anybody with new ideas of ways in which to help us raise money and cant stress enough how many new donations we currently need, we have the market, just need the goods!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 22:13:42 PM by Julesp »

Offline Jenny Daly

August Shop Opening
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 14:24:58 PM »
Thanks Jules for that information - very helpful.Wish you well with it all and I will pop in sometime either to buy or donate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf