Author Topic: Has Calis lost its appeal?  (Read 26012 times)

Offline sannyrut

Has Calis lost its appeal?
« on: July 10, 2007, 10:34:22 AM »
I had a holiday at the beginning of June this year in Calis.The resort was very quiet and the restauranteurs etc were complaining about it.I returned at the beginning of July to Calis and once again it was extremely quiet.The first holiday was before the Glasgow failed bomb.The second was after it.Did people know I was coming out ;),and left before I came,or is there another reason.

Offline glennat

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:09:27 AM »
I think it just boomed and is now settling down.  Those restaurants with better service etc will last, whilst the others will/may close (my personal thoughts).
I think Calis needs to have the beach improved in order to pull in vistors who normally go to other Turkish resorts.

Glen.

Offline shelli

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 11:17:30 AM »
I've just come back and didn't think it was particularly quiet, though I am sorry if some of the bars and restaurants are feeling the pinch.  

Partly the reason for returning to Calis for so many years is that it's pretty quiet and peaceful (even when Laffa's there!) but with just the right balance of nightlife for me - I really don't want it to get any busier!!!

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:34:01 AM »
Maybe it`s because it is too expensive now.
As everybody knows Turkeys tourism sector has declined in the last couple of years.
If the calis  restauranteurs took a leaf out of their counterparts in Marmaris book, where you can now get a full English breakfast for 3YTL (a proper one) then maybe the tourists will return.

Crabbit

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 12:32:14 PM »
I wonder if its anything to do with the size now? Its much bigger than it used to be extending much further that the bridge and so as a consequence the numbers are diluted. Rather than everyone being packed on the prom in the eateries there, they have choice to go much further a field. Well up the road a bit!
We've also noticed that in early June when the weather is very pleasant, the beach is very quiet as it seems people prefer to stay around their own pools whereas in September when it tends to be hotter people flock to the beach for the breeze. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:35:50 PM by Cavfan »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »
I may be in danger of agreeing with Crabbit. On my visit to Calis last week I was irritated by being charged 10.50YTL on the beach for a couple of sunloungers (and umbrella). A couple who planned a beach holiday for a fortnight would be charged well over £50 if they went to the beach every day - over £100 for a family of four. You could buy the damn things for less. It would not be a surprise if people were not using the beach so much and that the bars/restaurants on the front found holidaymakers taking lunch there less often.

As a comparison, the resort where I was staying charges 2YTL each for loungers (no charge for umbrellas) and when we went to (the despised) Marmaris, they were free - well, free apart from slightly inflated prices in the seafront bars/restaurants.

Is Calis trying to deter tourists from using its beach?

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 13:06:43 PM »
I don't object to paying the charges as i don't think they are are excessive when compared with other Mediterranean resorts. I do object to the beach being dirty and would be thrilled if they used the sun bed revenue to fund a clean up campaign. I would be very surprised if anything in Marmaris was free and slightly inflated prices will I'm sure more than make up for the cost of sunbeds if one could be bothered to work out the difference over a two week stay between the cost of sunbeds and the hike up on food and drink- if anyone works for Holiday Which that might be a nice little project for you. I for one could not be ar*ed !

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 13:49:32 PM »
The prices in most bars/restaurants along Marmaris Seafront are way lower than those in Calis.
You do come across the odd bar that does charge more, but they are few & far between.
It all depends if you like being ripped off or not, personally, I wouldn`t eat in a Calis Restaurant unless they brought their prices down to a realistic level. eg, A Steak meal 12YTL or less.
Please don`t get me wrong, I`m not a lover of Marmaris, but credit where credit`s due.

Crabbit

Offline Tonya

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 14:16:23 PM »
I wouldnt be surprised if more families are going all inclusive at other resorts, we are thinking about doing that next year. We found Calis to be expensive the last time we were there and all inclusive deals can be very good value. Not everyone's cup of tea but we also found our kids want to make friends on holiday which they havent done so far because the apartments we stay in are small and there are not many people about.

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 14:59:45 PM »
All the time that the restaurants and bars in Calis put their prices up for ''the summer trade' then I am afraid they dont deserve to be busy.Fethiye is cheaper now than the majority of restaurants along Calis strip. I agree with Crabbit, if they brought their prices down to a more reasonable level, then they might be busy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf