Author Topic: A Comparison  (Read 6214 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« on: July 14, 2007, 19:05:02 PM »
During our holiday in June we paid our usual visit to Zeke at Infinity in Olu Deniz.

We were warmly greeted as we walked in. Zeke was busy with other customers and during this time we were treated with the utmost courtesy by the rest of the staff and were brought lemon tea.

When Zeke came over we had a long chat over more lemon tea whilst we looked at some rings. After the pleasantest of hours, and having made a purchase which we know will represent excellent value, we bade our good friend goodbye.

Today, we took the ring into Inverness to have it valued.

The lady assistant, who I believe to be the proprietor wife, looked at the ring and then took through the back to her husband. She came back to announce that it was a fire opal.

Brenda politely corrected her and said it was a ruby - its a Brazilian ruby, not the usual colour, and very distinctive. At this point, she went into the window and took out a ring with a dark red stone and forcibly told Mrs H "THIS is a ruby" - bad mistake.

Then hubbie asked "What did you pay for it!" Putting my incredulity aside I told him firmly that we were not going to tell him. He then picked up and ring box and throw it across the counter at Mrs H announcing "It's afire opal - take it somewhere else !"

I managed to contain myself as I left the shop but anger got the better of me and I went back into the shop. I told the proprietor that I considered his behaviour to be disgraceful and that the stone was indeed a ruby. His response was to ask "Are you an expert then".
"No" was my response "but a trust the man who sold it to me because he IS a jeweler". This idiots' finally word on the matter "Well a hope its a piece of glass !.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 19:06:29 PM by Highlander »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 19:29:21 PM »
Imagine what he would have said if you had said "I bought it in a jewellers in a Turkish holiday resort" [:o]

Good for you John, I hope you get it valued elsewhere and take the valuation back to show these pompous idiots  :)

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 19:41:40 PM »
They sound like a couple of 'charmer's' H : :) Bet they have lots of regular customers.  NOT :P ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 19:47:18 PM »
Scunner - I fully intend to get it valued elsewhere and ram it right up their pompous, sanctimonious noses. You may have gathered I'm really annoyed by the whole sordid episode.:(

Offline fletch

A Comparison
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 20:02:58 PM »
Of course he could be right and the ring is worthless!

I'm joking, I'm joking!!

I think that if ever we meet, you may put a value on my family jewels but only after kicking them first. Oooohhh!!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 22:21:34 PM »
Have counted to ten and considered your post.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
A Comparison
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 23:21:23 PM »
I love gems, now I dont have chance to wear them, (dont go well on a beach).    
I really hope that i too am proven wrong.  Brazilan Ruby, if this is what the guy sold it to you as then he is not lying, that is the name given to the Red (pink/cherry pink) topaz or fire type opals, it is very distinctive in colour, the opal should not reflect any flashes of colour bar the main one. the red (pink) topaz should have a clean cut and clarity.  To the trained eye the difference is very obvious, but both stones lend themselves to be faceted.

but good luck in your quest.

Offline sannyrut

A Comparison
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 09:18:10 AM »
I hope you do get another opinion and sort him out.What a disgraceful show of behaviour by the proprieter.:-\I was going to suggest you stick it up somewhere else but you'll still need to retrieve it and disinfect it :o

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 15:05:31 PM »
 :o Sanny, so its not just me, I was about to post the same thing,
 And H, I would get it valued and e.mail to them with a big wink. ;)

Offline Pattimac

A Comparison
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 20:01:51 PM »
The Inverness jeweller wasn't MF by any chance (I didn't want to put the actual name of the jeweller down!) If it was - he really knows his stuff, but if it wasn't - take it to him for a second opinion.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf