Author Topic: Whirling Dervish at Paspatur this week.  (Read 3078 times)

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Whirling Dervish at Paspatur this week.
« on: July 26, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »
I've just read in the Fethiye Times that there is a Dervish showing off the whirling at the Paspatur between 9pm & midnight every day this week - don't know if it includes weekends. It's free to watch.
http://www.fethiyetimes.com/

If you've never seen this live then you really should as it's unbelievable. If he's any good you'll come away stunned & you'll remember it for life.

I saw this on a cruise down the Nile & everyones eyes were out on stalks after the 2 hr show. Truly memorable.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:50:15 PM by lindacarl »

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 19:41:55 PM »
That sounds great. I have always fancied seeing them in the flesh its supposed to be amazing.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 19:59:58 PM »
 :)Only ever seen them on tv. must be brilliant live. ;)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 19:41:33 PM »
Here are some pictures of the Whirling Dervish in Fethiye.  I apologise for the quality as they were taken on a mobile phone.

An amazing experience even though it was only a solo performer and it is weird that 24 hours later it still keeps coming into my mind. :)

Offline Ingol Angel

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »
Well, Tribalelder ....... You Lucky Thing!!!! After reading in the Fethiye Times that the performance was between 9pm and midnight every night until 29th, 6 of us trollied down to the Paspatur on Saturday night to eat and watch the performance.  Oh! surprise, surprise, after eating and waiting a considerable time I decided to enquire just whereabouts the performance was taking place and was told by at least 6 different people that the performances had 'finished'!!!  Needless to say, 6 very disappointed people returned home that night!!!

Offline tel

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 11:53:57 AM »
Good shots Brian.
Saw last nights performance, the Sunday finishing day.
Sorry Ingol Angel you missed out, gobsmacked I guess.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »
 :)Once again Linda, good topic, I am not really into traditional dancers, but that is one I would have liked to see, Tel did you go dizzy, or do they really go into a trance, ;)

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 12:17:25 PM »
I don't know if it was exactly the same as the ones we saw on the Nile cruise but they made me feel a little bit sick. They whirled (at one hell of a speed) in one direction only for about 30mins or more. How they do it I'll never know - I'd have been flat on my backside after 30 secs, maybe 3 secs even.
The ones I saw (there were 2 of them) also twirled all different shades on their costumes - seemed like they had many layers which they lifted/dropped. Nobody could believe they stayed on their feet for so long & twirled so fast.
It's one place not to take your children unless you're prepared to pick them up regularly or mop up the inevitable if they try to do it for so long.
Got to be in a trance state or something similar. They also can't have inner ears.
It's something I'll never forget.

Offline tel

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 13:19:28 PM »
This may work!!!!LOL
Just an experiment clip of Whirling Dervish.
Taken Sunday 29th July 2007

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v161/cicek/?action=view¤t=c9ebc289.flv

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 10:05:29 AM »
I am fascinated by the whirling dervishes, about 5 years ago, whilst i was living in Antalya i went to Cappadoccia (another fascination!)en route we stopped in Konya and went to the Mevlana museum. Then that evening i was given a wonderful surprise by my friends (they know my obsession with dervishes!)... they told me we were going to a Turkish night in a cave... good i thought, been to plenty of Turkish nights but should be different as in a cave! When we arrived the traditional Turkish night began, and then the biggest and best moment for me the Whirling Dervishes! what a fantastic experience and number one on my list. I was tempted to go to Paspatur but i didn't... keeping my memories of the Dervishes from Konya.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf