Author Topic: Ciftlik Info  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Sniffy

Ciftlik Info
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:25:07 AM »
As you may have read from previous post I have a deposit on apt in Ciftlik, I would be grateful if anyone who has bought there could give me any general information - what are the good and poss not so good things about it :0)
I realise the local shops are Turkish, am I right? - (and my Turkish involves me scrambling through a phrase book, followed by numerous embarrassing mispronounciations)
So I was wondering where is the nearest supermarket?
Any info much appreciated :0)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Ciftlik Info
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »
Hi,

I'll send you an email later with more details but for now:

There is a small, well stocked (they have Efes LOL) supermarket in Ciflik called Mellisa. The owners are really nice and speak fairly good English. They will deliver if you ask.

The hardware store opposite stocks loads of gear but they do not speak our tongue. However a few pointed fingers, smiles and such usually gets the message across.

There is also a bakers (not yet used) and a Pide Shop/cafe. The latter is very cheap and the food is lovely.

It's not the place for a night out on the town but you can shop there and pay your council tax and water bills at the same time.

Dolmuses run to Fethiye quite regularly as well.

Where is you place then?

Stoop

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Ciftlik Info
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 08:34:11 AM »
No, the local shops are Alaskan.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Ciftlik Info
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 08:37:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

No, the local shops are Alaskan.

PMSL - sarcasm at it's best:D

Ignore him Sniffy

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Ciftlik Info
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 08:39:43 AM »
The very idea that shops in rural Turkey may be Turkish came as a complete shock to me too at first  ;)

I spent my first fortnight looking for Budgens

Offline n/a

• deleted
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:40:13 AM »
Hi sniffy..ciftlik is a lovely turkish village,still very much unspoilt,there are alot of small mini markets,the main one being mellisa market(super market)There is a bakery,hardware store,electrical shops,hairdressers still only 3 lira for a cut..
pide (turkish pizza)just opened.the village market is on the square on a thursday.Dont worry too much about your turkish,they do like you to have a go, but more of them are picking up the english.

Offline Kazzyber

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 16:49:29 PM »
Hi we used the Melissa supermarket in Ciftlik and the chap in there spoke English very well, the supermarket stocks most things, the only thing that was a bit hit and miss was the cows milk.  The bakery we used regularly and the bread was yummy and very very cheap!!

Offline mavisim

Ciftlik Info
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 16:56:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Kazzyber

the only thing that was a bit hit and miss was the cows milk.  

If it's a relatively large supermarket, they should stock the "Pinar" brand of goods. If they do, then the Pinar Gercek Yasam Milk is about as close as you can get to creamy milk.

It's available in green and white cartons or platic bottles.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 17:17:25 PM by mavisim »

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
Ciftlik Info
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 17:47:50 PM »
They dont stock many Pinar products, ICIM milk is a good one they also stock loads of Danone products and as Kazzyber has mentioned there is a guy in there who speaks good English. We found them cheap for all kinds of stuff including genuine Turkish Delight we paid 3tl for just over 500gms. we have been shopping there for 4 yrs now and its slowly getting bigger and better. there is a bakery down the road for fresh bread and if you ask nicely they even slice it for you

Ron

Offline mavisim

Ciftlik Info
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 17:51:39 PM »
So if they stock some, they ought to be able to order-in the Pinar Milk too. It all gets delivered by the same lorry. I have tried the Icim, but it's no way as good as Pinar. You could of course get your own cow and really blend in with the neighbours  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf