Author Topic: FIRIN KEBABI-KEBAB IN THE OVEN  (Read 5287 times)

Offline amber

FIRIN KEBABI-KEBAB IN THE OVEN
« on: February 24, 2008, 22:28:54 PM »
This is an ideal recipe when entertaining.  Cook does not need to be in the kitchen.  Plus will be ok for hours just in case the predinner meze and drinks take longer than expected.....Quantities given are for four people, just double/triple as necessary and obviously use a bigger baking dish!
1 large (or 2 small) shoulder of lamb -if very fatty get butcher to remove some excess fat, leave some on.  Then butcher to cut into large chunks.
12 medium potatoes
4 large tomatoes-if in Turkey (if in UK use 1 tin of tomatoes)
4/5 large onions
few bay leaves
salt/pepper
water
Wash the meat and put into baking dish
Season, add 1 glass of water, seal with double foil and put in oven gas mark 4 for about 2 hours.
Peel potatoes
Peel and thickly slice onions
Thickly slice tomatoes (if fresh Turkish ones)
After two hours remove meat from oven.  Place potates, onions, tomatoes into dish, check water situation, if necessary add a bit more.Add bay leaves,some fat from meat should now be in the juices in pan, spoon this over potatoes, onions etc. Recover with foil, put back into oven for another 2 hours. Check when been in oven total four hours.  Check the meat, should be very tender and falling apart.There should not be any water/juice in pan by now, if there is just remove foil and put back into oven for a while. If not ready just cover and cook a bit more.  When done you can turn the oven down to lowest and leave for a couple of hours- will not spoil.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 23:18:30 PM »
:D Now I'm salivating  :) that sounds gorgeous!!  :)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 17:59:53 PM »
amber have you use beef with this recipe,not keen on lamb

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 19:52:12 PM »
Yum! I may have a crack at that.

FYI You can buy the nice big beef tomatoes in Sainsburys these days at £50 each. The do taste good too.

Offline amber

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 20:13:41 PM »
Puma, you can do with beef.  Is still very good.  The cut of meat is important though.  When I cook this in UK use rib of beef.  Think Sainsburys do boneless rib roast - this is excellent.  Do not cut off the fat though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf