Author Topic: Leaving family & friends  (Read 6958 times)

Offline tintin

Leaving family & friends
« on: August 03, 2004, 10:26:46 AM »
Having just spent an hour on the phone to my friend (who has moved to beautiful Bodmin), putting the world to rights and talking about everything and anything without stopping for breath, I suddenly thought I won't be able to do this at 50p per minute from Turkey.

I think the hardest thing about making the big move would be missing your family and friends.  My question is how hard is it to actually do when it comes down to it, I'm guessing that all the plus points compensate after a period of time, otherwise none of us would even consider doing it.

It would be good to hear from people on the forum who have already gone for it, I'm sure these thoughts must go through everybody's minds, but I can't find the question on the forum anywhere, so would appreciate all your views.

Tina

Offline WalgraveChippy

Leaving family & friends
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 11:45:01 AM »
Tina, I'm 50 and my parents are in their late 70s. Neither of them are "happy" with our decision to move but they do seem to accept that we've covered all the angles and are doing it for the right reasons. My partner's parents are the same. We'll be saying goodbye to them properly in 2 weeks time . Sadly we all realise that the next time we come back it will probably be for a funeral................. But, that's reality.

I also have a son of 22 and a daughter of 21 who are both "partnered" and they accept that with air travel it's no worse than if I were moving to the north of Scotland. They will miss me and I them. They both know that my partner and I are doing what we think is right for us.

Offline sammyjorush

Leaving family & friends
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 17:21:21 PM »
Hi Tina

I havent actually done the BIG move yet,,,but agree with chippy its only a flight away and sometimes quicker to get to than scotland...(depending where you are).....

Have you gave it a thought your friends and family might be glad to see the back of you.....ha ha....ONLY JOKING NO OFFENSE INTENDED...

My mum emigrated to spain 15yrs ago, I actually followed her 3yrs later and loved every minute of my18months there......My friends and family visited...depends what sort of an individual you are on how you adapt..there is no theory for this question to be answered....Just live life to the fullest and enjoy...dont make yourself worry, it will all come together....Good luck:D

lol Samantha 8)

Offline tel

Leaving family & friends
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 21:40:51 PM »
Hi Tina,
Bodmin or Bodrum....LOL
Bodmin is very near to me and it is quite nice there, well pretty nice.
The flight is a little long but hey, tell them you're doing it for them also, as it will give them a chance to escape dreary, boring, Britain and get a taste of how life used to be when they visit you.  Probably like they can remember it years ago at home, if its senior people.
There are some reasonable priced flight coming up now and again to take advantage of.
Go for it, everybody deserves to better themselves and enjoy more.
Tel

Offline tintin

Leaving family & friends
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 09:07:10 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts, and I know you are all right in what you say (no offense taken Samantha, you'll have to do better than that...lol).
It doesn't happen often just now and then go into panick mode, but have to say that I know without a doubt the move is the right thing for us to do.

Calis feels so right, when we go back there we feel like we've come home.

Just to give you an idea of myself and hubby, I am nearly 48, hubby is 52, we have 2 boys of 28 and 22, both with partners and the eldest soon to be married on Xmas eve.
Our eldest has never flown and is hoping to overcome his fear so that he can come over and see us, and the youngest has toured round New Zealand and Australia with a friend for several months, has been to the villa and loves it, and oddly enough he's the one I worry about the most.  

We have my mum left between us, and, she is coming over next year to the villa, which will be great so she has a picture of where we are.

And finally we have the two dogs, a weimeramer and woosy doberman, who will both come as well.

Walgrave I just want to say best of luck with your move, and let us know how it all goes.

One last thing, I'm really pleased to have found this forum as everybody is so friendly, and genuine, thankyou for your support, it will be great to start meeting some of you when we come over.

Tina

Offline WalgraveChippy

Leaving family & friends
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 19:53:20 PM »
Thanks for that Tina.

As soon as we've settled I'll let you know where we went right and wrong !

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Leaving family & friends
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 01:54:11 AM »
Tina
If your friends & family are on the internet then try & use that.
Hubby is from USA & as we are living in Wales we keep in touch via the internet.
I've just been on here with one of my stepdaughters for the last hour chatting.
We use IM & often speak verbally on yahoo where if we are the main computer we can also see each other via webcam as we speak.
Costs nothing & probably we talk more often than we would if we were living in USA.

The only thing that worries us is that we might have to wait months for internet connection. Don't worry too much about not having a phone it's the internet connection that we will miss.

You'd be surprised at how many elderly silver surfers there are. My aunt got her 1st computer when we were out in Australia visiting her at the ripe old age of 75. She's since researched the family tree online & got back to 1620. My uncle her brother when she came back home for a visit decided to get himself a computer & they are more in touch with one another now than they have been for many decades.

My uncle could teach me a thing or 2 about computers now & he's only been online for 3 years.

Consider leaving your computer for an elderly relative - you might be really surprised at what they can do.

My aunt has even taken a leaf out of our book (Carl & I met online) & has found herself a few male friends online.  :-)

Linda

Offline Tony Mac

Leaving family & friends
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 13:41:32 PM »
Tina

With regards to your youngest son trying to overcome his fear of flying.  I myself was a terrible flyer, so much so that it got to the point were I was on the verge of not flying again.  I would panic in the weeks coming up to the holiday and get very "snappy".  I actually surfed the net and found a great site which has helped me overcome it and now flying doesn't hold the fear that it did.  It has made my holidays and now I actually look forward to them.  The address of the site is fearofflying.com and it is run by a pilot who has trained as a psychologist.  He answers all the usual questions and explains things in a way that helps such as turbulence etc..

Hope it helps.

Tony Mac

Offline sandgrounder

Leaving family & friends
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 15:45:36 PM »
Tony, I can relate to the fear of flying as well. I used to be filled with trepidation about it but a couple of years ago we were coming home from Madrid and I actually sat next to an "Off duty" airline pilot. He explained the journey every step of the way, all the noises, what the flaps were doing, all the bangs and turbulence etc. It doesn't bother me anymore and like you, I actually look forward to the flights now:D

Russ

Offline sammyjorush

Leaving family & friends
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 15:52:28 PM »
There is nothing to flying atall...... it just makes your arms ache after a while.... lol Ha ha:D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 15:53:11 PM by sammyjorush »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf