Author Topic: Cintar Anyone?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline philrose

Cintar Anyone?
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:34:06 AM »
I see the Cintar season is upon us once again. Anyone have any recipes for these delicious Fungi?
I had a great one given to me a couple of years ago but have mislaid it somewhere:(

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Cintar Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 20:16:10 PM »
The classic way is carefully choose medium sized cintar..... rinse them very lightly taking care not to damage them. Then lightly fry heads down in the very best olive oil with garlic and finely chopped parsley NOT butter  If you can get it you can add some finely chopped smoked bacon as well. Serve on crisp toast or just on its own. :)

Offline Linda

Cintar Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:22:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by tribalelder

The classic way is carefully choose medium sized cintar..... rinse them very lightly taking care not to damage them. Then lightly fry heads down in the very best olive oil with garlic and finely chopped parsley NOT butter  If you can get it you can add some finely chopped smoked bacon as well. Serve on crisp toast or just on its own. :)

That sounds lovely and I will definately try it. Last winter we cooked them gently sauted in a frying pan with mild onions, closing the lid and allowing them to steam and then adding some eggs towards the end of cooking with teh lid off. The result was scrummy and even better when you have been out into the woods to find them yourself .... of course you do need someome who knows there mushrooms and where to find them. I remember the perfect conditions was after a wet spell and then some sunny weather. They are not easy to locate but once you have found one you usually find lots in the same vicinity.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Cintar Anyone?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 13:19:19 PM »
There are two varieties Lactarius Deliciosus and L deterrimus although they are both just known as Cintar here in Turkey. They can be found in Spain and other European countries though.  The former variety usually grows under oak trees and the second more common here under pine trees. If anyone has any other recipes please post them....the season only lasts for a few weeks so there is not much time to experiment. :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Cintar Anyone?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 13:40:48 PM »
I got some and was told (contrary to what Tribalelder suggests) to simply fry gently in butter.

Trust the advice of Brian, it was bloody horrible.

Offline philrose

Cintar Anyone?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 13:49:38 PM »
Whatever method you use just make sure they are cooked well to avoid a case of botulism.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf