Author Topic: Wimbledon 2009  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
Wimbledon 2009
« on: June 14, 2009, 18:00:27 PM »
It's that time of year again, the strawberrys are in abundance and the pimms is on ice, yes it's Wimbledon!

Not sure how many of you are tennis fans but I follow the results all year round.

Who do you fancy to win this year?

In the mens, I think the final will be another match up between the ferocious power hitting of Nadal and the artistry of Federer. I actually think that Federer will be supremely confident after his win in the French open and Nadal is reputedly struggling to get get fit in time due to problems with tendonitis in his knees. In addition to those two, I think maybe Englands own Andy Murray could possibly make a grand slam breakthrough. He has just won a grass court tournament which will add to his confidence.

On the womens side, I think it could be more wide open but I think the most likely outcome could be a final between the Williams sisters with possibly the reigning champ Venus edging out little sis Serena.

Venus has not had a particularly good year so far, but if she can get through the tricky first few rounds where everybody will be out to stop her, she will start to grow and grow in confidence as she has before .

I'm not sure about the world no 1 Dinara Safina or the French Open Champion Svetlana Kuznetzova as they haven't really proved themselves on grass yet. A possible a challenge could come from Elena Dementiava, Jelena Jankovic or new Danish prospect Caroline Wozniacki if they get on a roll! Not forgeting Maria Sharapova who is starting a comeback after a bad shoulder injury.

Lets hope the weather keeps good, even though is now a retractable roof on the centre court, it wont help the initial backlog if everywhere is rained off!

Who are your tips , runners and riders?

Ps, H before you blow a gasket, I know Andy Murray is a Scot.! :D

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Wimbledon 2009
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 23:01:33 PM »
Nadal now out of Wimbledon. Anyone want to nobble Federer, then maybe more chance of a British win?

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Wimbledon 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 08:53:53 AM »
I think maybe Englands own Andy Murray could possibly make a grand slam breakthrough

OK I will bite.  you can have him but you have to keep him if he loses too.

And I want it in writing ;)

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
Wimbledon 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by heather07

I think maybe Englands own Andy Murray could possibly make a grand slam breakthrough

OK I will bite.  you can have him but you have to keep him if he loses too.

And I want it in writing ;)

:D:D:D

I still think that Federer will claim the title this year, he's desperate to win at least one more to pass Pete Sampras's record of 14 grand slam titles.This would make him the greatest player of all time without doubt. It's the best opportunity he will ever have with Nadal out injured.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Wimbledon 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 22:39:58 PM »
I don't care if your English, French or Turkish, get on your feet and applaud Andy Murray:D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Wimbledon 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 22:42:20 PM »
Isn't that interview by the BBC the most ridiculous thing you have ever seen :o:(

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
Wimbledon 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 23:12:36 PM »
I didn't see the interview but I'm delighted that Murray has won because it brings him closer to a match up with my hero Roger Federer who will edge him out. Fed has to win this tournament to be confirmed as the greatest player of all time and I dont think he'll let anything stand in his way, including the young wipper snapper Murray. ;)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 23:13:54 PM by Jukebox »

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Wimbledon 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 23:20:18 PM »
Murray showed his colours in a Portugal shirt against England.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Wimbledon 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 00:33:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox

I didn't see the interview but I'm delighted that Murray has won because it brings him closer to a match up with my hero Roger Federer who will edge him out. Fed has to win this tournament to be confirmed as the greatest player of all time and I dont think he'll let anything stand in his way, including the young wipper snapper Murray. ;)

Murray is something like 6-1 up against Federer  :)

Offline braveheart

Wimbledon 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 02:49:12 AM »
Strange how Andy Murray does not seem to get the same hype from the UK media as Henman did - or is just my imagination ????

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf