Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 1678 times)

Offline vicky

Car Insurance
« on: October 05, 2009, 19:07:54 PM »
Just over 2 years ago my partner and I decided to buy a new car. My partner returned to England and transfered the monies to the car company. The car log book was put in my name. I purchased full Insurance cover from a large reputable insurance comany, the Insurance was in my name.I was told by the Insurance company my partner could drive the car.Maybe the insurance company thought my partner had the same surname as me.
Last week we heard about a woman who was stopped by the police driving in her partners car and when checked her name was not on the insurance, problem, the car was taken by the police.
Maybe being naive, as in England we would simply contact our Insurance company and ask that an additional driver be put on the Insurance.
We went to our Insurance company to get my partners name on the insurance cover. We were told Turkish Insurance companies only put the insurance in the name of the person who is named on the log book.
The only way round it was;
A) get married, show the marriage certificate and change the log book at no cost.
B) Go to the notory office with your passports 2 sets of photos, log book and about 500 TL. You are in fact buying a share of your partners car.The log book will then be changed and will have both names on it. The Insurance company can then issue Insurance with both names on the policy.
The answer is when partners buy a car make sure both names are on the log book.
Or does anyone know of another way round this problem.

Offline mikew

Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 17:08:22 PM »
Its cheaper in the long run just to get married!!!!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Car Insurance
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 17:12:38 PM »
Ask your insurers how much it would cost to insure the vehicle to be rented out. If it's economical, change the insurance cover and "rent" the vehicle to your partner.

Offline Old Daffodil

Car Insurance
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 19:22:20 PM »
Does it make a difference if one of you is Turkish and one British? British people have to have a different registration and I believe that means a Turkish person cannot drive the vehicle.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf