Author Topic: Maybe problems  (Read 2098 times)

Offline ovaciksarah

Maybe problems
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »
I am a bit wortried, a friend took a beautiful mastiff puppy to Uzumlu, which she found in Fethiye in the bins, about 6 weeks old, she said, 3 people sitting around, asnd they just told her to put him in with the other puppies, there were no checks to see if he was healthy, no isolation or anything, then a\ turkish man and his daughter said they wanted her to put on their balcony, not allowed in the house, didn,t even know that she would come into season and need spaying.  Surely, all animals coming to the centre should be thoroughly checked and new owners should be vetted, otherwise the animals could have a worse home than the one they came from.  Sorry to be negative as I really appreciate all the work you do but things must be refined for the sake of the animals so there is no cross contamination, they have the room surely

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Maybe problems
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 14:48:11 PM »
if anyone asks me about taking animals to the centre, I will always advise taking them in the afternoon when the English speaking vet is there, any animal taken there in the morning unless it looks ill or in a poor state will usually go straight into the pens with the other dogs, otherwise we have isolation pens for them.
Morning is cleaning,feeding and general repairs time by the few staff there who speak little English, any checks needed are carried out in the afternoon by Emre(the vet)
The same staff have run the centre for the last ten years and very successfully in the circumstances, very rare we have any cross contaminations, not perfect but welcome to Turkey.
Emre does ask questions to people wanting dogs and gleens a little background on them as a result a few are refused certain dogs, we can't vet everyone that comes in, who would do it?
We rely on people keeping their eyes open and reporting any dogs being mis-treated, there are laws that cover this now and can be enforced more now than ever before.

Thank you for your concern Sarah

Offline pamsandra

Maybe problems
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 18:01:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

if anyone asks me about taking animals to the centre, I will always advise taking them in the afternoon when the English speaking vet is there, any animal taken there in the morning unless it looks ill or in a poor state will usually go straight into the pens with the other dogs, otherwise we have isolation pens for them.
Morning is cleaning,feeding and general repairs time by the few staff there who speak little English, any checks needed are carried out in the afternoon by Emre(the vet)
The same staff have run the centre for the last ten years and very successfully in the circumstances, very rare we have any cross contaminations, not perfect but welcome to Turkey.
Emre does ask questions to people wanting dogs and gleens a little background on them as a result a few are refused certain dogs, we can't vet everyone that comes in, who would do it?
We rely on people keeping their eyes open and reporting any dogs being mis-treated, there are laws that cover this now and can be enforced more now than ever before.

Thank you for your concern Sarah

If the RSPCA can vet all prospective owners why can't Turkey?  I live in Deliktas and in the apartment block next door is 2 dogs, neither of which are being looked after properly, both owned by Turks.  One is a husky type, super temprament but her owner thinks its ok to tie her at the bottom of the outside staircase on a normal lead with a bag of bread and some water.  Here she can stay for hours whining, wimpering & barking.  One of the english families has been attempting to 'teach' the owner who has no interest, so they now take her to their apartment or tie her at the back on a long rope so she can at least lie down on grass.
The other is a Doberman puppy which has now been left on a back balcony for 5 days - after 3 days, we obtained a long ladder to get some food & water to it - no sign of the owner after 5 days.  This has been reported for the last 2 days and still no authorities come.  It is lying in its own faeces, 'plays' with whatever is on the balcony and yet again the english have climbed the ladder to give it more food & more water........

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Maybe problems
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 18:23:29 PM »
The RSPCA do plenty of things and maybe someone needs to educate some owners who do not know how to be a responsible pet owner. No different here in the UK to Turkey. What is important in my opinion is that you can point out what needs to be done and what people aren't doing but without the facility on the Uzumlu road there would be *nowhere* with any interest or care for domestic animals and the whole area would once again be overrun with them.

There is always more that can be done in most areas of life. In creating a place where things really can get done, why is there criticism about what they don't do? If they weren't there anymore there would be nothing to criticise - would that be better?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf