Author Topic: Property Scams  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Property Scams
« on: November 17, 2011, 20:26:41 PM »
Since we've moved to Turkey, we have been made aware of so many property scams.  Builders, Emlaks and Solicitors that have duped people into handing over cash for a property that will never be theirs.  There is a petition online PLEASE sign it http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/protectionforbuyers/

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Property Scams
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 20:30:11 PM »
I worked for two years on a system that wholly prevented people handing over cash for a property that "would never be theirs" and still lose customers who go for the same house with a different agent because they got them a washing machine thrown in. Good luck with the petition, but I won't be signing it.

Offline Eric

Property Scams
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 20:43:31 PM »
According to the links to TLF, this petition was started in 2009.  When is it due to be presented?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 20:44:28 PM by Eric »

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Property Scams
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 21:02:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

I worked for two years on a system that wholly prevented people handing over cash for a property that "would never be theirs" and still lose customers who go for the same house with a different agent because they got them a washing machine thrown in. Good luck with the petition, but I won't be signing it.

It's amazing how fickle people can be, but I am sure many people gravitated to you to benefit from your safe purchasing system.  But the fact that some wanted a free washing machine doesn't negate the value of this petition.  Surely anything that raises awareness of the scams, benefits all in some way.  By publicising the fact that there ARE scams, it warns people to be cautious, might send some prospective in your direction and might help shame the Government into doing something about the crazy system here.

BTW, it isn't MY petition, I am merely helping to spread awareness of it.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Property Scams
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 21:34:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

According to the links to TLF, this petition was started in 2009.  When is it due to be presented?

There's no set date.  Since it has been better publicised, the signatures are going up.  I have been told it might be submitted before end of this year.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Property Scams
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 21:39:07 PM »
I know it isn't yours - if it was yours I'd sign it  ;)

I agree that it might increase awareness and perhaps even cause a change in regulations - but to be absolutely clear, I do not believe there is much in the way of scams. Idiots yes, scams, probably not as many as anyone thinks. The scams are isolated cases we've all heard of - often involving a barman, waiter or other person outside the industry who promises to get a better price and the customer ends up paying a higher price or in some cases the ultimate price - losing the lot.

There are few people more disillusioned with the property market in Turkey than me - not because it is slow but because it is rife with scandal and tales of dishonest people and there is not much kudos in being an estate agent in Turkey these days. Towards the end of my time living there I used to dread being asked what I did, and could feel the life draining out of me as I replied. So I will tell you what I really think.

There are very few "scams". Very few indeed. What we have is the coming together of two fairly inert things that become explosive when brought together - idiot customers and idiot builders/idiot others in and around the property industry in Turkey. I met so many people in the property game out there who have no obvious business skills at all - they called themselves business people but they were actually people who had a business. "Right place right time" types. Agents, builders, Brits, Turks - and this is the problem now. Builders got so deep in debt building, selling, building, selling, building...oh **** nobody's buying. Imagine this situation:

You can't pay the bank and unless you find £40,000 by Friday, you're finished. Do you (a) Lose everything or (b) borrow £40,000 to pay the bank secured on that tapu you haven't signed over yet? It isn't right but that IS WHAT IS HAPPENING. Not scams, self preservation. It stinks, I deplore it but it would be worthwhile writing all this if 1 person gets to understand that the problem isn't scams, the problem is builders getting in too deep and using something that is technically still theirs to save themselves from the banks.

In the courts the banks get awarded the property - people shout that this is a scam at the highest level - IT IS NOT! The bank lent on the basis that a property was security and what else can the courts do than award the property to the bank - it was the security offered up!

Sadly the other side is customers - we all expose ourself to risk and I am no different - sometimes you have to put your faith in someone you don't know very well and I have done that and I have been the person that people have trusted many times. The trick is going for a calculated risk and I do not believe many people affected do - as I said, from no risk to total exposure to potentially losing £90,000 for a free washing machine is total madness, and not because I lost out - it is the actions of an imbecile. I have also noted that customers have followed two trends between 2003 and today:

1. Customers in recent times are generally focused on getting a deal and lose complete sight of risk - for example they are much happier to send the whole amount if the builder gives in to their impressive tough negotiating (in their own opinion, nobody else's) demand for a £5,000 discount and free curtains.

2. As time went on I found slowly but surely you can't tell many customers anything. In the early days people came with a crazy dream and you talked them through it and eventually steered some keys and a tapu into their hands. These days quite often they turn up and they know it all, more than you in fact. I suspect the ones that think they know the most are often the ones who end up with nothing. Because they aren't prepared to listen to anyone apart from the expert - themselves.

Pick the bones out of that lot!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Property Scams
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 21:45:26 PM »
I need a drink....

Offline scorcher

Property Scams
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 22:27:10 PM »
.... and Keith knows a really nice waiter....

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Property Scams
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 22:47:56 PM »
Superb expert insider knowledge from Keith, let's hope anyone considering buying a property in Turkey reads this 1 post. I know for a fact that if I was in the market to buy who I'd use as my agent!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Property Scams
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 23:39:47 PM »
Ditto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf