Author Topic: Flanders and Swan  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Flanders and Swan
« on: March 05, 2012, 17:39:17 PM »
I'm not sure whether this fits under "Music" or whether it ought to be "Comedy" (but there is no such topic on CBF). It is by two of the greatest all time musical comedy writers/performers. How dry do you take your humour?

"The purpose of satire, it has been rightly said, is to strip off the veneer of comforting illusion and cosy half-truth. And our job, as I see it, is to put it back again". (Michael Flanders).

This example is not one of their most well-known tracks, but there are plenty more available on the net - Transport of Delights (London Omnibus was a childhood favourite), French Horn is so skillful, Gnu is just good fun, and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vh-wEXvdW8

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Flanders and Swan
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 00:17:00 AM »
Colwyn you've done it again you've highlighted one of the most clever and humorous acts ever to grace the stage.  My favourite of course was their great standard 'The Gasman Cometh'.  Very clever, and could be used as an economic template for how to drive demand into the economy today ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Flanders and Swan
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »
A brilliant clip but I dare say the PC brigade would have something to say about it today.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Flanders and Swan
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

I dare say the PC brigade would have something to say about it today.

Well John, I'm a fully paid-up member of the PC Brigade (Senior Irregulars Division) and I posted the link!

And to show how just PC I am I chose to overlook The Gasman Cometh as it is a middle class attack on British skilled workers. UBT - I'm surprised at you!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:49:42 AM by Colwyn »

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Flanders and Swan
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 22:16:24 PM »
I have  a recording of the "At the drop of a hat" show for many years and still play it on a regular basis, and I find it as funny now as I did when I first hear'd it, this album along side "An evening wasted with Tom lehrer" are two satirical gems I would not be without.
and terribly House & Garden is as relevant today as it was then, Wonderful stuff.
:D 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf