Author Topic: Trashing Tradition  (Read 3462 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Trashing Tradition
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »
What is very British though is that you'll always find someone to moan about too many medals, as you'd have found someone to moan if we hadn't won enough  .... they hide away for most of the year and only come out to moan  ;)

Offline angela

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »
I have to say, reading the life stories behind the names, who could not be inspired by people like Mo Farah, a practising muslim from Somalia, who is very proud of his adopted country, and has done us all proud in return. We live in a multi-coloured world, but we are all still identical under the skin :D

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 10:13:04 AM »
USB, I hope you're not suggesting I was moaning; I was just reflecting on how much things have changed. I used 1960 as a starting point since it was the first Olympics of which I have a clear memory*. From 1960 it took the next 40 years, until 2000, for me to see the 40th GB gold medal. I have now seen more than that in 4 years and it hasn't stopped yet. Yet I hear people saying that so-and-so "only" got a silver so they had failed to win, as though winning golds was the normal expectation.

* I only distantly recall Gordon Pirie, Chris Brasher, and Derek Ibbotson from 1956. I am not sure how much TV coverage there was back then. I am not even sure if we had a TV!

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »
Mixed race Nations seem to be the "norm" now in this "Global Village" we live in, (Turkey had a chap of Kenyan origin in the 1500 m yesterday), listening to a plethora of post race / event interviews, funding appears to be one of the major factors involved in the current success, which is now coming to fruition since the injection of cash from Lottery fund (as Stoop said).

As I've commented elsewhere the athletes / competitors are just the pinnacle of a metaphorical pyramid, and, depending on the sport are supported by a team of all kinds of managers, coaches, nutritionists, psychologists, mechanics etc., etc., who form the foundation,  all of whom contribute significantly to the success of the Olympians (who obviously do need to bring natural talent to the mix !), this all takes a lot of cash !.

One shining example of this is the cycling team with it's head Dave Brailsford, who in my opinion should not only be given massive recognition for the teams success, but also be head hunted by the Bank of England and perhaps the economy wouldn't be in such a mess !!   ;)  :).

Let's just enjoy it !, it's good to see Great Britain smile   :), and let's hope the adopted motto of the Games of "inspiring a generation" works and the youngsters of the country who hold false dreams of becoming the next Jordan,  Little Mix or whatever the boy group is called ???, or spend their lives sat in bedrooms behind games consuls, are inspired by some of these fine role models and start joining sports clubs and start working to carry the "Torch" forward into the future !!.

Rant over, I really have got too much time on my hands !!   :)

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 13:07:47 PM »
I have to say, reading the life stories behind the names, who could not be inspired by people like Mo Farah, a practising muslim from Somalia, who is very proud of his adopted country, and has done us all proud in return. We live in a multi-coloured world, but we are all still identical under the skin :D
I always thought that Mo was a muslim,but why does he cross himself like a catholic ?

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 14:22:30 PM »
USB, I hope you're not suggesting I was moaning; I was just reflecting on how much things have changed. I used 1960 as a starting point since it was the first Olympics of which I have a clear memory*. From 1960 it took the next 40 years, until 2000, for me to see the 40th GB gold medal. I have now seen more than that in 4 years and it hasn't stopped yet. Yet I hear people saying that so-and-so "only" got a silver so they had failed to win, as though winning golds was the normal expectation.

* I only distantly recall Gordon Pirie, Chris Brasher, and Derek Ibbotson from 1956. I am not sure how much TV coverage there was back then. I am not even sure if we had a TV!
Colwyn I would never include you in the moaners category ...... your style is as always reflective as a pure mirror

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf