Author Topic: Schools in Fethiye  (Read 7530 times)

Offline Andrea07

Schools in Fethiye
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
Hi there i'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right area but i'm sure someone will let me know if i'm not. I'm hoping to move to Fethiye in the near future with my 10 year old daughter. The only thing delaying the move is schooling for my daughter. Currently she is in Primary 7 here in Scotland and due to start high school next summer and doesn't speak Turkish. I'm looking for information and/or advice on schools in Fethiye. What are peoples experience with school system, are local schools better than private schools, what are the fees for private school, where would m daughter fit in the Turkish school system. All comments, information and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Andrea

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Schools in Fethiye
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »
Hi Andrea

It's a very scary thing to do - moving your kids into a school where they don't even speak the language, we know that very well. Ours went to nursery first and we literally did that - left them in a building full of people who between them didn't speak a word of English, including the teachers/staff. It was one of the worst feelings I have ever had.

But that's the negative side covered now - kids are amazing and they find a way to get round everything. By the time ours got to school they were totally fluent (at 6 years old) and used to answer the phone for their idiot parents who struggled with the language. That was 7-8 years ago that they started school and in their time there many British kids joined, and of course the ones that are there already help with interpreting for the new kids - but the new kids pick it up incredibly quickly.

In terms of curriculum, we found it to be quite tough academically (relative to UK) with longer days and lots more homework (you'll love that if you don't speak Turkish - in maths you can see a problem like someone has 8 pomegranates and he gives his granny 3 so how many does he have - but you'll just see an 8 and a 3 and the rest is Turkish words, so you know the answer is probably 11 or 5 but then you go into a routine where the kids read the question in Turkish, you ask them to read it again in English, then you help them, then they answer it :o

On our return to the UK we finally had something to compare it to - and we found that there is far more emphasis on Maths, Turkish, English etc in Turkey and not so much on 'softer' things like art/drama/crafts. So be under no illusions, it is a tough school day, every day and an hour or two of homework almost without fail each evening.

To counter that, our kids were as good at maths four years ago as they are today (they were eight 4 years ago, 12 now) and that is no joke or exaggeration. Other advantages of the school in Fethiye we found was that there was more of a genuine love from the teachers (and staff) to the kids, and the same genuine love from the kids back. Also the relationship between the older kids and the younger ones - sometimes very touching indeed how the big ones looked out for and looked after the younger ones.

I'm sorry I have no idea on costs - it wasn't cheap 6 years ago but I can't remember how much and I'm sure it's gone up since then. You can also pay for the school bus service and school dinners (that my girls still speak fondly of today, shame they can't remember their Turkish as well!). I'm sure someone will be able to give you an idea on prices.

Hopefully that will make you feel a little relaxed about the prospect - feel free to ask anything you like about it. 10 years old is a very good age to integrate for kids and they won't feel isolated at all - there is a lot more experience of English speaking kids and also there are English speaking staff.

The address of the school (other schools are available)

Ozel Ata ILKOGRETIM OKULU
Tasyaka Mah
Otogar Krs
Fethiye

Tel/Fax 00 90 252 612 6137

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
What a super reply ;D

Offline cobbydalers

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 13:08:21 PM »
What an excellant response Scunner, if I were Andrea I would find it very reassuring.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 22:19:12 PM »
I don't fully agree with Scunner about the age issue. I have seen quite some people arrive in Turkey with children of different ages and generally spoken, the older they are, the harder it is for them to learn Turkish.

But of course it will mainly depend on the character of your child. It is very hard for shy children whereas selfconfident outgoing children will adjust easier.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 22:50:07 PM »
I'm not sure you disagree with me - I too agree that children find it more difficult to learn Turkish as they get older (in fact it isn't a fact about children, it's a fact about humans!). My point was more that 10 is a good age still - I have know children of 13/14 who have really struggled and spent day after day staring at the wall.

So the point for the lady is, do it now...  :)

Offline Andrea07

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 15:16:14 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read and reply to my post.

Scunner- thank you for sharing your experience, i agree totally about her age.....if i wait much longer i'm just to give myself more problems.

A quick update.......i contacted Ozel Ata, just waiting to get some info from them

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf