Author Topic: IPad 3G Question  (Read 4861 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: IPad 3G Question
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 16:42:48 PM »
So an ipad 3 or 4 is better than an ipad (no number) regardless of the op system as this (the os) can be updated.

My head is swimming with all the versions and differences !

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 16:49:21 PM »
Your right it is confusing as they called the 3rd version of ipad just ipad and not ipad3 so even though there have been 4 versions the latest is only ipad3......

Anyway.......

I have a ipad2 and that it great and does everything I want. Not as fast as the latest version but you don't really notice

I also have a ipad 4 (latest version) also good but if I had to pay myself I would have stuck with the ipad2

The ipad3 was only out a short time and quickly replaced. I would avoid it.

See here for comparisons

http://ipad.about.com/od/Tablet_Computers_eReaders/a/The-iPad-Comparison-Chart.htm

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 17:06:49 PM »
Thanks Steve, really helpful   :)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 17:08:01 PM »
I have an ipad 2 and like Steve, find it just fine for what I want to do.
I did have a mini sim installed at Avea a couple of summers ago but on returning the following year it had been blocked -either because it wasn't topped up in time or because I wasn't in Turkey to use it - not sure as it was all very confusing.
This summer I have gone for the data sim in a mobile and I just "tethered" it to my ipad and used the data package that way whilst in Calis.  Now it probably won't work next year as again it hasn't been topped up so I think I may have made another expensive mistake!  Will have to stick to wifi I think  :-[

Offline Eric

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 18:36:31 PM »
I
Thanks Eric that is useful. I was just going to ask if not having the 3g on the ipad meant it wouldn't have the facility to take a sim card but from your reply above an iphone would enable 3g if needed for the ipad if wanted. Is this correct?
Thanks Eric that is useful. I was just going to ask if not having the 3g on the ipad meant it wouldn't have the facility to take a sim card but from your reply above an iphone would enable 3g if needed for the ipad if wanted. Is this correct?
I think that is correct Nichola, you access internet vie tethering to your iphone that is 3G enabled.  Double check with the sales person 1st though.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 18:52:20 PM »

Don't know if this going to be helpful or not Nichola, but here goes. I bought Kaz a Polypad 9716 for her birthday, as far as I can see it is very comparable to an iPad in what it can do, at least half the price too, she also has a Samsung Ace on pay as you go through Vodafone, with an unlimited internet package at 14tl per month, with this tethered to the Polypad (or laptop) the internet is faster than with our dongles and only 14tl/month instead of 30tl for the dongle.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 21:39:55 PM »
Thanks Baz - Polypad doesn't appear to be available on Amazon   ;) I'm really after something with maximum storage for photos when travelling which is why the 64GB and the high resolution display on the new ipad appeals...

Thanks too Eric - I found this simpletons video guide to tethering on youtube for anyone else that wondered what that was and how to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HHPEQvsH0

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »

Worth keeping an eye on this site for accessories Nichola.

http://www.bonubon.com/istanbul/kategori/elektronik

Offline Firo

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
Nichola don't just think of ipads.....I asked a techno friend who has an ipad if now he would buy it against the latest Samsung tabs and the answer was a resounding no. With an ipad you can only use their programs with a Android tab they are cheaper, have the same if not better basic systems and you can add whatever you want to them.
As my son says I'm not spending hundreds of pounds on a system to be dictated to what I can install on it!
I have the Samsung and it's brilliant but I would also now look at the new Nexus which is getting rave reviews....
Remember also unless you have wifi on your camera you'll need an adapter to attach your usb or SD cards in most tabs...again cheaper to buy for Androids than ipads....

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 16:56:59 PM »
Thanks Fi - I have checked it out and it does have a quad core processor so it should be fast. But for my purposes the screen is too small screen, much lower resolution for images and less storage than I need.

The ipad that is top of my list does include a Lightning to USB Cable and USB Power Adapter and excellent processing power. I know its a lot of money but it does what I need it to do which is store high resolution RAW + Jpeg images when I go travelling.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf