Author Topic: Mobile Internet Access  (Read 13578 times)

Offline Bluwise

Re: Mobile Internet Access
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 17:35:59 PM »
Also, on return visits (say following year) won't you find your phone / imei thingy has been blocked in Turkey?

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 19:07:17 PM »
Mine has never been blocked but the longest I have been away is 6 months

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 19:49:46 PM »
I was away Sept to June and first my mini sim for ipad was blocked and the next visit after a similar period, I had a data sim in my phone and my phone was then blocked.
Unfortunately, I have no idea on the rules etc so now my phone is unblocked, hope to buy a pay as you go data sim and use my phone as wireless for my iPad.
Baris at Avea in Fethiye is very helpful and speaks good english.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 20:30:57 PM »
I don't have a iphone, my phone is an old turkish mobile, it phones it text, exactly what it says in the box cost me approx 50tl many moons ago.

This little gadget will be going to the UK, I will take it along to "the man that can" unlock it to a UK simGB.
My UK phone is the same as my Turkish mobile, phones and text, PAYG nothing fancy, cost me no more than £5-£6. 
Little gadget is great, put it in my pocket, 5 hours battery life, or charge up through usb, simple, use it for the chromebook, laptop or android, magic, and when I return at a later date to Turkey I will not have the problem of registering it at the tax office for 100tl. 
I intend to set up an account with Turkcell online to put credit on should i be away for longer than 6 months if not get a friend in Turkey to do it on line for me after purchasing a pay card, same as the phone to keep it alive.
Anything for an easy life. 

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
Hi Again Loz onne question I have regarding the VINN wifi device you purchased is it portable, so can you charge it and take it out with you? Many thanks

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »
Yes, and approx 5-6hours (so far).

I have been reading up on these mini wifi, not sure how this would work in Turkey, buy one in PC world, again I am not sure if they are locked to a certain sim, bring to Turkey, but then you would have to go to the Tax office to pay 100Tl to register it, would it then be possible to use any sim card?
I didn't buy one in UK as I wanted to use mainly for Turkey and pc world staff could not answer this question, I didn't want to buy one in the uk for the same money and find I had to buy a Turkish one.

Offline UPtownr

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 20:28:18 PM »
You can find out from your local (UK) service provider if your phone is eligible for unlocking. Usually the first contract period (say a two-year plan) you are locked into using your phone only with that provider that in effect subsidized your smart phone purchase. If you are a long term customer, and you own the phone for more than one contract period, you only need to ask them to unlock it and they will do it -or send you to an internet link where you can do it online yourself by supplying some basic info about your phone ID (this is again an option you have in the US, but I trust UK is also efficient like that).

And yes, your phone will work once you return back to UK and reinsert your UK SIM card. As for having to buy a new SIM card 'each time' you come to Turkey.... I do not know how often you plan to come back here, if VERY often it might pay for you to register your phone -that will set you back a 100tl and some bureaucratic run-around-, but if you plan on coming say every 6-7 mos, the SIM will remain 'active' for I believe 9 months (or 6 mos at least), and even then if you ask a friend who lives here, to load a 7.00 tl basic -hold- plan, the SIM will remain active for another 9 mos (based on TurkCell provider). Alternately, to activate a new SIM card each time is about 30-40 tl. You can do the math based on your frequency of visits which option is best.

Not sure what you meant about this option to be viable only when you are away from apt. When you are at a public space, most restaurants and cafes have free WiFi for you to tap in. The problem is IN the apt where you do not have WiFi. If you are at an aparthotel, they usually have free WiFi as well. If you are in the wilderness you will need a solution -but hey, enjoy the open air when you are wandering  ;)

I agree with loz that if you want convenience and money is no object (not a big one anyway) invest on a wifi device and take it anywhere -yes they are rechargable usually so no being tethered to a wall outlet for power. As for next time you come, if your phone will not be blocked ...no first hand experience on that, sorry, but i do not think they track it consecutively. based on most of what i heard from others it is a crap shoot -some get to use it again and again, some loose it, it is probably a function of how long they hold on to information before they purge it, and how long you've been away before using the same device.

loz, i agree again that if you spent 10 bucks on a plain vanilla phone and it does the job for you, go ahead and spend 265 tl for your iPad. This was for those who are already users of an iPhone for 2 years and more.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Little gadget is great, It is great to be sat in our villa on the internet as opposed to carting around a laptop/android/ipad when going out for the day or evening.

I can find my way around a computer no problem, give me a phone and I am lost!! hence the cheapest of cheap mobiles on the market, the battery will go out of production before the phone gives up. 

If you go onto Turkcell site you can register (must be in Turkey to do it) you get a password and you can pay online for sim credit anywhere in the world, so if you are out of the country for more than the 6 or 9 month period you can keep a sim alive, make at least one phone in that period too.  Good way not to bother friends or buy the kontor cards before you leave and ask them to top up the credit online, I just like my independence. 

On saying all this, Vodaphon and avea must have the same system. Personally I like Turkcell. and spending half our time now in Turkey ad UK they suit me fine.

Offline geordieboy

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 18:16:27 PM »
As of the 1st of January 2013 the cost of registering an imported mobile telephone at the tax office increased from 100tl to 120 tl,

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 07:26:15 AM »
Great info Loz. Thanks

I looked at these last October.  I tried to get one last night at a couple of shops but no joy.    I'll try the one you suggested

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf