Author Topic: Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1  (Read 7993 times)

Offline davybill

Re: Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 13:40:01 PM »
Man of the match for Arsenal, Howard Webb,/-?

Offline Jack13

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 14:53:29 PM »
got a point there davybill. if that tackle had happened midfield it was a definite foul. maybe suarez reputation for diving!! persuaded howard webb not to award a stonewall penalty. thought Liverpool deserved a draw, sorry des,

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 15:11:36 PM »
Fair comment Jack, but suarez has only brought it on himself, the ref,s are aware of him now, the same as they were of another guy called Drop down Drogba. Suarez still the best striker in the league though, just think if Arsenal had offered 40.000,002 he would have been ours.  ;)  :)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 15:51:01 PM »
Des I've heard the "he brought it on himself" comment a 1,000 times and if it was a 50/50 decision then I might understand the referee airing on past performance, however this was a bit different, Suarez was tackled at knee height, well within the penalty area with Howard Webb just feet away with a completely unobstructed view.

I understand why some don't like Suarez but he's had to pay the price for his past indiscretions, I wonder what price Howard Webb will pay for what I would describe as cheating ?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 16:09:06 PM »
Have to agree George.  This was debated on the T.V. after the match and all agreed it was a definite penalty. It was also said that Suarez was renown for diving a while ago, but he does not do it now. 
However, the main point here is:  The Referee is there to officiate at the match and he should make decisions fairly on what has happened, he should not be taking into account any past history, that is not his job.  On this occasion Webb was right in front of the play and there was no doubt he saw the foul.  So, he was the dishonest one and not Suarez. There were other incidents that deserved a booking in this match including the Gerrard second foul.   
It's also really annoying when Referees can make any decisions they like and not be accountable.  Time for the Video Judge just like in Rugby, it's a much fairer way.   One has to consider there is now so much riding on football decisions these days, Referees should be more accountable.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 16:15:24 PM »
Agree with you 100%, that's why I am one who thinks video technology should be brought in for the penalty area too, it is working for goal line decisions so why not in the box. I am not advocating for the whole pitch. lets face it the ref has a very hard job with the way the pace of football is played, and the linesmen cant keep up with the game either. and as for 4th officials. what use they are I don't know. I do follow your point.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 16:35:38 PM »
The rules don't allow for past actions or reputations and it was without doubt a penalty. Controversial perhaps, but I think if he'd dropped the last ridiculous contorted twist he'd have got the penalty. That little action made it look like a clown had been felled by a machine gun.

As I said, it was a penalty but his antics would make any ref wonder if it was playacting. No need, he was felled, just fall man.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 16:42:49 PM »
Sorry Scunner, it would have made no different to Webb how many turns Suarez made.  Webb makes his own rules.  As soon as my son  Paul and I saw who the ref was yesterday, we looked at each other and said "Oh no"
Webb should be put back in Fergies Garden Shed for good.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 16:50:49 PM »
Repost for all who missed it. VIDEO TECHNOLOGHY. Rugby can do it and they are real men.  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 16:54:38 PM »
Sorry Scunner, it would have made no different to Webb how many turns Suarez made. 

So you believe that there are no circumstances in which Webb would award a penalty for a foul on Suarez?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf