Author Topic: Has your driving gone native?  (Read 11562 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Has your driving gone native?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »
At first I was confused by the left indicator sign which means "I am going to pull to the right. This is so you can pass and then I can pull back over to the left and wait for the other lane to clear before making my left turn without you driving into the back of my car".
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:49:19 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 13:37:11 PM »
On my scooter I realised very quickly to stay away from the main roads whenever possible - so much so that I know every side street in Fethiye & Calis and could become the towns cartographer !!! :-)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 15:12:55 PM by Ian »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 18:47:17 PM »

Has anyone driven in Istanbul? Not something I would fancy.

Yep. Been there done that and on one occasion even towed a single-car transporter trailer through it. Piece of cake ! I really can't see what people get so wound-up about. There are several drivers that I work with who are scared of driving in London. Pussies !   ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 18:49:46 PM »
At first I was confused by the left indicator sign which means "I am going to pull to the right. This is so you can pass and then I can pull back over to the left and wait for the other lane to clear before making my left turn without you driving into the back of my car".

That's quite a common manoeuvre throughout Europe and the Balkans. Quite sensible in a way.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 19:47:50 PM by KKOB »

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 19:10:25 PM »
If you think the standard of driving is poor in Turkey have a trip through Albania you will never complain about Turkey again.

DonM.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 19:46:58 PM »
I like the Bulgarians. Everthing on the road is there to be overtaken. It doesn't matter what they're driving, the road conditions or whether they're approaching a blind bend or junction.

Offline atinabay

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 23:47:13 PM »
First couple of years we hired a car, but I found it stressful and not very enjoyable. Felt that I had to grow another pair of eyes to keep up with the drivers there.... Obviously, its the way they drive there, so everything is the norm, but when you drive in the UK most of the year, its difficult to adapt. One year we spent 12 weeks there and I've got to admit, when I got  into my car back home, the driving felt so easy and relaxed.  Confession........ near the end of the holiday, I was tentatively swaying towards the "native" driving.     A kind of  "I can drive like that too, you know!"    :-[     Last year we opted for a scooter. Actually found it safer (you need to try it to believe it)  and more fun.  This will be my mode of transport in the future.  Apart from the fact its so cheap.   It costs 100tl per week and 20tl of petrol gets you out and about all week.

I am sorry wild horse would not get me on a scooter.  I think you could be the safest driver in the world, but there is always the idiot in the car that will cut in front of you or knock you off the road.  We have seen many near misses with cars and scooters.  As I see it, you have some protect around you in a car, in a scooter you have none, not even protective shoes or clothing and in most cases helmets.  I don't care how cheap a scooter is, there is no putting a price on your life or your future health.   

I own a motorcycle back home and have been a biker for twenty years so I suppose its natural for me.    :)   But your right.  I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't have experience.

Offline sandpiper2

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 19:34:45 PM »
If you intend to drive in Turkey there is only one GOLDEN RULE you must clearly understand and that is:

Under no circumstances whatsoever must you drive BEHIND the vehicle in front of you.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 20:10:04 PM »
No, you MUST drive ahead of the vehicle behind you though.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 21:41:23 PM »
  Quite right Jacqui, when in Rome (ie Turkey) drive as the locals do, ignore the pedestrians, ignore the traffic lights, and above all ignore the local police!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf