Author Topic: Animals euthanised  (Read 1889 times)

Offline saoirse

Animals euthanised
« on: July 14, 2014, 18:55:39 PM »
Right let's cut straight to the chase

I have raised this issue before and been given an " answer"- I however want either a 100% refaramation of that position or a straight answer.

I understand the terrible limits re food, vet care, shelter etc.

But let's sort this so everyone knows .

Animal Shelter- Fethiye, Uzumlu Roac

ARE DOGS PUT TO SLEEP AFTER 90 DAYS??

I apologise for raising such a horrible possibility but repeated rumour/ reports need answered-DEFINITIVELY

I know this shelter is amazing in the work it does- we do however need to know an answer to this query

Thanks

Philip

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Re: Animals euthanised
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 19:23:56 PM »
I don't think there are any set dates or timings to these things happening, When there are too many dogs in the pound they have to do something, and yes I'm sure they do put some down when absolutely necessary but believe me they hate doing it as do all the local vets.
The problem now is the area has now become bigger and dogs are coming in from farther afield, there was talk a while ago of bringing in two more full time vets to help with the neuter and return programme which was quite successful bur the other problem we have is private dogs are now roaming the streets making puppies.
It has been suggested many times to neuter all the dogs at the shelter but a lot of Turkish people will not take neutered dogs which results in a build up of dogs in the shelter, catch 22

Offline saoirse

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 19:39:38 PM »
Tinkerman
I don't think theres anyone with a brain in their head nor more importantly an ounce of feeling for the animals who doesn't recognise the help, assistance and love for pets that yourself and the sanctuary provide.   Its important you know that

It's also important that people know that there's a choice to be made if they come across a distressed/ desperate animal- does doggy take his chances on the streets or 90 days later having been brought to the shelter be put to sleep.

I am very aware I am going to take ****e for even raising  this and would love to care about such nonsense- but all I ask is a straightforward  position so al those who go to help an animal can make an informed choice
Thanks

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 19:53:22 PM »
 The only thing I will add to that if it helps people make a choice is, if they take the dog to the shelter it will be guaranteed food shelter and medicine where needed, if it has a serious problem it can be sent to a veterinary where it can have the relevant treatment which is not currently available at the shelter or if it has a serious illness it can be put to sleep in an absolute painless manner, if the dog is fit and heathy it has a fair chance of finding a new home. If the shelter think the dog would survive on the street it can be neutered, inoculated, tagged and put back on the street.

If you leave it on the street there are no promises.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 20:05:55 PM »
Very fair answer and over all I would still recommend that people bring the dog to the shelter

I do however feel its important to know that apparently even if the dogs healthy- if it doesn't get a home within 90 days- it's put down.

Hoping to be abruptly/ sincerely corrected

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 20:14:59 PM »
I have never ever heard of any time limit for the dogs at the shelter  :)

Offline saoirse

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 20:20:10 PM »
I firmly believe in the work of the shelter and continue to believe in their work and your own amazing help

A definitive answer may encourage more to assist with this worthy cause but I understand and appreciate your positive responses.

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf