Author Topic: How prices vary  (Read 5766 times)

Offline tails77

• Newly Registered
How prices vary
« on: August 25, 2014, 15:19:47 PM »
The Cake
On my first week here, I brought a cake from the Pastenasi near the Erasta centre.  Curious as always about what I would be charged and trying to recall what I paid last year for 4.  The cake cost 7 lira and it was stale.  A few days ago, after a meal out I decided I wanted to have a treat, so I left hubby in the car and decided to purchase the very same cake.  This time to my delight the cake was only 5 lira. I can only assume that maybe I looked more Turkish on my second visit!!!

Paspatur
I needed some Turkish delight, but as it has been so hot, I did not want to go the the market.  I knew there was a shop in Paspatur and I was quite prepared to pay a little more for it, above the market price.  I was completely shocked when she pointed to the average size boxes you have on offer in the market.  25 lira per box as opposed to possible 7 or 8 lira in the market on last years prices. Do people really pay those kind of prices? I ended up buying 1/2 kilogram of Turkish Delight for 5 lira from the Saturday market.

Car parking Fethiye
We managed to park in Fethiye street parking at 7.30 a few days ago.  Anyway, from the discussion that took place with the parking guy, the payment for parking finished at 8 pm.  So he charged us 2 lira.  As we walked away, we both reckoned he had overcharged.  Sure enough on our return to the car, the ticket charge was 1 lira.  We both had a laugh about it, but at least we know better for next time. 

It would  seem that in some instances it is key to be able to speak more Turkish and challenge things that you are uncertain about.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: How prices vary
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 20:03:00 PM »
If you were staying in Calis you could have gone to the Turkish Delight Factory.  The place in Paspatur belongs to them, but it's a real tourist trap and the Turkish delight sits in the sun all the time.  If you go to the Factory, it's freshly made and also just take a box and pick your own.
I also don't understand why you went back for a cake when the first one was stale?  The cakes in Migros are really good, you should give them a try.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 21:11:03 PM »
Jacqui you make it sound like the Turkish Delight Factory cheats people in Fethiye, but not in Calis.  My view is that they have always overcharged, whether in Fethiye or in Calis at their new or their old site.  Best - or rather saddest - of all is when a coachload from Thompsons or Thomas Crook turn up at their Calis shop with their friendly reps directing them to buy .. it's like watching lambs go to the slaughter. ??? ??? :  :)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 21:25:02 PM »
I don't want to visit the factory but for the life of me I can not place where it is in Calis, can someone enlighten me please cheers :o

Offline raygans

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 21:40:03 PM »
The factory is almost opposite the Nazar Garden Hotel

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 22:03:07 PM »
I called into the shop between the culture centre and the PTT in Fethiye today, picked up a small bottle of water from the fridge, it was clearly labeled 75 Kurus which is expensive, I can but the same in Deryia market for 20 Kurus. I handed in one lira and she waved me away, I protested that I was due 25 Kurus change and she told me the cold water in the fridge was one lira, the warm water stacked outside the shop was 75 Kurus. I have to tell you that it weees me off! the answer isn't "don't go there again" they don't give a toss and realise the next sucker will follow me in a matter of milliseconds.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 22:13:17 PM »
Jacqui you make it sound like the Turkish Delight Factory cheats people in Fethiye, but not in Calis.  My view is that they have always overcharged, whether in Fethiye or in Calis at their new or their old site.  Best - or rather saddest - of all is when a coachload from Thompsons or Thomas Crook turn up at their Calis shop with their friendly reps directing them to buy .. it's like watching lambs go to the slaughter. ??? ??? :   :)

Did I say they cheat people?? sorry I missed that bit..  I said it was a tourist trap, it is.  I avoid walking passed, they always.. say "Can I ask you one question"  or "Are you from England" then invite you in to try the Turkish Delight.  Yes, it does sit out in the sun all day.   The Turkish Delight in the Factory is  always fresh, it is in the shade, they do not pester you to buy and we have found it the best and the freshest.  I suppose we could buy Turkish Delight cheaper elsewhere, but we are not buying it every week and we know we get good quality T.D. to give to our friends and family as gifts. 
Karen. It's on the same road as the Aqua Park  on the opposite side, just passed Azda.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 22:30:31 PM »
Even after all my years in Calis we got ripped off with Turkish Delight on one of our last few visits. There was (maybe still is) a place sort of outside Golden Moon estate agency that had boxes with a nice viewing window, lovely selection inside, all ribboned up, very nice indeed for presents. Size was a reasonable 8" x 4" approx. Decent price too. We bought a few, one for Steph's work. Imagine her surprise when they opened it and the inner tray had a border of around 1" wide on all 4 sides - and the clear window just small enough to hide that!!

Grrrr

Offline tails77

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 06:26:49 AM »
We have been coming to Fethiye for 8 years and we have almost come to expect being overcharged/cheated in one small way or another.  With each year we add on, we live in hope that we have become smarter, but we always get caught out by some trick or other.

One thing we have learnt is never stand too long outside a restaurant in a place you are not familiar with.  We did that in Dalyan, just to get our bearings and that was it, we were targeted by the very hassling owner.  Although other restaurants in the area were less over bearing, which was nice to see!

We were going to try the Turkish Delight shop up from the Erasta centre, but it never seems very busy, so did not even bother with it.

The stale cake, well I put it down to it being the end of the Ramadan festivities at the time. 

I used to work in a coffee shop in my younger days (Saturday job) and the owner always put the cream cakes out the next day.  By this time, the cream had turned yelllowish in colour.  Thankfully, this should not happen now in England.  :)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 08:43:44 AM »
I don't want to visit the factory but for the life of me I can not place where it is in Calis, can someone enlighten me please cheers :o

It's just by Azda & the Meri Bar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf