Author Topic: Russian Embargo Hurting Fethiye - and it Hasn't Even Started Yet  (Read 11515 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Russian Embargo Hurting Fethiye - and it Hasn't Even Started Yet
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 23:49:37 PM »
Not just the average Turk either - it means less business for the lokanta, the barber, the local shop - and that means less barbers and shopkeepers in restaurants, taxis, hotels etc - couple that with 4.5 million Russians and however many nervous Brits/Europeans deciding not to come in 2016 and I think it's hard times for all :(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 08:11:35 AM »
Maybe so. I doubt a Fethiye tomato farm worker would consider that as part of their election evaluations.
Well perhaps they should have, because Reg had already shown what he would do to stay in power by re-igniting the war in Kurdish areas and across the border in Iraq.  And this all took place well before the General Election in order to win that election, and was all about strong man power politics, and that Turkish strong man was no longer Ataturk but Reg himself.  And the Turkish majority loudly cheered and voted him in, as indeed the Turks did when they shot down the Ruski plane.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »
We are a long way from:
"Yurtta sulh, cihanda sulh"

(Peace at home; peace in the world)

Attaturk, 20 April 1931

[The full sentence was:

"To describe the stable and general diplomacy of the Republican People's Party,

I think this short sentence is enough: We work for peace at home, peace in the world."

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »
Fethiye area are not usually AKP voters.. which is why they struggle to get funding from the government.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 11:52:38 AM »
Attaturk, 20 April 1931
Whoops. Sorry. Ataturk.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 12:06:17 PM »
Fethiye area are not usually AKP voters.. which is why they struggle to get funding from the government.

Correct.  Fethiye been CHP for as long as I can remember.  Same as Izmir, which has been subject to retribution by way of lack of funding and a few land grabs (Diyanet) as well.

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 13:57:10 PM »
Your missing the point altogether.  Perhaps because of being locked into the Fethiye bubble.  Thinking that what goes on here in this untypical Turkish town is the same for the rest of Turkey, and that in some way the people living here, are exempt from what goes on in all of the rest of Turkey. Do you really think the tail wags this particular dog? I don't think so.  Mind you plenty round here did vote for the AKP.

In the November General Election, which had one of the largest turnouts for any election in Turkey. Turkish voters,  both here in Turkey and abroad, gave Reg and the AKP an overwhelming endorsement, with more people voting for the AKP than ALL the other parties combined. I'd like to see the results of Reg's governance only hit the AKP voters, but it just does not work that way  .... and like I said above it was not just AKP supporters who cheered when the plane was shot down.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 14:50:52 PM »
The discussion was headed Fethiye embargo hurting Fethiye...and you commented that they shouldnt have voted AKP.. Hence my comment and I stick by it that the majority do not.. This is why the schools etc. have to be helped out by charities because Central Government punish the areas that on not vote for the,, A discussion about the rest of Turkey should be under another heading.. I have yet to meet anyone from Gunlukbasi or Calis that vote AKP..Erdogan is not populat there trust me.

Offline yabanci

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 17:23:41 PM »
I have yet to meet anyone from Gunlukbasi or Calis that vote AKP..Erdogan is not populat there trust me.

27,873 people voted for the AK party in Fethiye in the June 2015 election,32.0% of voters.In the November election that figure rose to 36.3% of voters.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 17:44:32 PM »
I don't quite get the logic UBT - if many Brits lost my job because Cameron ordered a plane be shot down and the affected country put in place hardship causing sanctions, it would serve the people right for voting Tory?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf