Author Topic: UN Criticizes Turkey on Human Rights  (Read 7585 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Re: UN Criticizes Turkey on Human Rights
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:16 AM »
I cant believe how long this has taken but at least its finally been acknowledged.
Theyre having a bad week with Germany & Holland shunning the Foreign Minister, Russia, US and Syria blocking their route to Raqqa and the YPG getting mote support from the US.
Now the Flynn arguments and use of the word Nazi here and there not going down well.
Interesting times.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »
That should tell them then. Except the strong correlation between countries with bad human rights records and countries who couldn't care less about the UN criticising them.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 13:09:53 PM »
All kicking off with the Dutch now..

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 14:09:51 PM »
Yep, Godwin's Law has been brought into play.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 08:33:03 AM »
It seems a Turkish ministers plane was refused landing due to him wanting to hold a rally for a yes vote for the Presendent. Another minister was also refused entry and sent back to Germany.

The mayor of Rotterdam said they did not want a foreign country to hold a political rally on their soil.

Erdogen then called the Dutch remnants of Nazis.

All happening as the Dutch Turkish decided to protest and it turned into a riot.

All this a few days before the Dutch have a huge vote themselves and thus plays right into the right wings hands.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
As a bastion of democracy Turkey is predictably shocked at a "Nazi remnant" state preventing free speech and has reacted with moral outrage. In the words of Turkey's Family Minister said on being deported to Germany, "The world must take a stance in the name of democracy against this fascist act!". I'm sure this will be widely reported is whichever news outlet that the AKP hasn't closed by those reporters who haven't been imprisoned.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »
More pots than kettles methinks:

Family and Social Policies Minister Fatma Beytül Sayan Kaya has said she witnessed “inhumane treatment” from the Dutch authorities after being barred from entering Turkey’s Rotterdam consulate and deported to Germany.

Sayan Kaya said their “most basic needs were not provided” and charge d'affaires, five members of her team were detained, while members of the press were attacked by police dogs and horses.

No gold plated lavvies then petal?

“I once again condemn the Netherlands,” Kaya told a press conference at Istanbul’s Atatürk Airport, accompanied by Energy Minister Berat Albayrak.

Albayrak described events as “a night of shame for European democracy.

Oh the irony...

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »
"Listen Netherlands, you'll jump once, you'll jump twice, but my people will thwart your game. You can cancel our foreign minister's flight as much as you want, but let's see how your flights will come to Turkey now." (Erdogan).

Don't worry there are only about one million Dutch tourists visiting Turkey each year; just half the numbers from the UK. Upsetting Germans - now that would be a bit of a problem for the tourist industry.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 11:47:50 AM »
So he's basically saying that any flights from Holland will be refused landing. Lovely for those with homes and for all those businesses that will lose the income from Dutch tourists.

I always understood that the Dutch were liberal and very open to people from everywhere (especially after a few slices of 'cake'  ;) however things appear to be changing.

We are in interesting and quite worrying times.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf