Author Topic: Thinking outside the box  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Wasp0

• It takes a lot of balls to golf the way I do
Thinking outside the box
« on: May 09, 2020, 09:30:21 AM »
Need:
To get out to our apartment as soon as borders open and other travel things are in place.

Thinking:
Flights hard to come by, expensive? few and far between! Crowded! Risky!

Alternative:
Driving in our own car to Turkey.

Question:
Advice from anyone who has done this? Route to take? Time for drive (Maybe kip in the car, 2 pax)

Unforeseen Difficulties:
Visas for countries driving through??  Anything else?

Thoughts, advice and learning from everyone most welcome.

Thanks all.
Frustrated Wasp0

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Thinking outside the box
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
I've done the trip 5 times now. With 2 drivers, just stopping for food and fuel, you can do it in about 3 and a half days.

If you have a look at Google maps, or ViaMichelin, you can see a couple of very goods routes which are roughly a straight line as far as Istanbul. Between Calais and Istanbul it's 'A'class, dual carriageways or motorways virtually all the way. Then, once you reach Edirne, you've got a choice of the 'mountain route' or the coast road.

You'll need to buy a Vignette at the Austrian border which covers your road tax. You may also need to buy one at the borders of Serbia and Croatia if you use those routes, but I can't recall.

You don't need any Visas but you need to make sure you have at least 6 months to run on your passport. You'll need the original V5(C) for your vehicle and it must be in the name of 1 of the car occupants. You'll also need Green Card coverage on your insurance which must include Turkey. If you can only get European coverage, then you'll have to buy extra insurance at the border when entering Turkey. You'll need to cross the border during office hours to make sure the insurance office is open because, depending on which entry point you use, the opening times can be a bit hit 'n' miss.

You've got to weigh-up the cost of fuel. You're looking at roughly 5000 miles for a round trip. Say at 35mpg, that's 140 gallons.

There's a huge amount of information about driving in various European countries available on t'internet.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 10:03:44 AM »
Oh, stick to the speed limits !

I got caught a few years ago in Serbia when I was on my own.

I was about 10 miles into Serbia when I was stopped by 2 police officers who issued me with a ticket. I offered them USD, £s, Euros and TL but they insisted on Serbian Dinars which I didn't have.

They took my passport and driving licence and made me go back to the border to get currency from the Change Office.

All the time, I was convinced that they'd disappear with my my documents, knowing their value.

Fortunately they were waiting for me when I got back and also gave me a small discount for prompt payment.  B'stards !  ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 10:07:31 AM »
Don't leave the car unattended at service areas, rest stops etc. There are a lot of 'Roma' who will offer to clean the windows, check the oil and tyres etc. But they're just looking to rip you off or steal from the car. Park as close to the buildings as possible.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »
I would be very wary at the moment. Borders are closing and opening daily at the moment and some may require you to quarantine for a period on entry. Also make sure that both car and travel insurance is adequate. Personally I would not chance either method of travel in the near future.

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 11:44:31 AM »
It’s a great drive we did ferry from hull to Rotterdam then the countries where Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary and instead of Serbia we went through Romania (due to issues with the dog) Bulgaria (all in the EU). As we had a dog with us and towing a trailer it took a little longer we left Rotterdam Wednesday morning and arrived in Calis Sunday night so 5 days . We are now waiting to drive back but won’t leave until all the borders are open and we can fly direct into dalaman

Offline Wasp0

• It takes a lot of balls to golf the way I do
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 13:47:02 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their valued input. Like i said i am thinking out of the box at the moment, and would not consider this trip until things are back to.........well as close to normal as we are likely to get. Hopefully around Sept/Oct time or maybe even Nov.

Driving will allow us to take a few large and heavy item that queasy jet would charge us a small mortgage for, so we will drive out one day, but i think flying maybe hard, risky, expensive when flying gets going again.
Also our departure from the EU may play a part in any decision and elongated difficult border transitions may be the norm to teach us Brits a lesson on not to toe the EU line. (Another topic, another discussion  ;) )

But thanks again for your input, looking at Google maps the journey times say 40-44 hours non stop driving. Hmmmm, thats not too bad as have driven down to Gib (Not as far I know) many a time whilst serving in her majesties RN, and i never tired of the experience.

Stay Safe All

Offline shadow

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 14:36:27 PM »
Re Original Post from Wasp0 :

If you are concerned re driving all the way. Have you considered taking the train from London/Euro star via either Brussels or Paris ? 
I planned a train journey this year (end March beginning of April) London to Istanbul. Postponed for now....
5 day journey  -  with 2 x 1 night stop in Bucharest/Romania & Sofia/Bulgaria.    My journey via Brussels.

Just seen your latest mail:
Appreciate you will have the freedom of carting more items by car. I did think of doing same but not driving on my own.

If you still need info re train journey - please pm me.
Regards

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 17:29:39 PM »
Is it worth it?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 18:09:53 PM »
Probably.

Share me