Author Topic: name please  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Ally B

name please
« on: June 05, 2020, 19:55:32 PM »
Can anyone tell me the name of the small orange coloured plum like fruits you see growing freely around Calis.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: name please
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 20:11:19 PM »
Probably Medlars. They're what's used to flavour S.Pellegrino Sparkling Water, amongst other things.

Offline peter16

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 20:56:20 PM »
At this time of the year they could be Yeni Dunya, I think the english name is Loquat.

Offline cenk

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 21:31:20 PM »
Probably muşmula (mushmula). Called as yeni dunya as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 07:33:56 AM »
I think you're probably right Cenk. I'd forgotten about muşmula.

Offline George Warner

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
Also known as Maltese  Plum, we have had our best year,crop wise but our neighbors,who normally share them are,like us,in lockdown,mixed some,not our neighbors, with last years Figs and made crumbles,can only store so many in the freezer, almost forgot, DO NOT eat the pips/seeds,they are not good for you.

Offline Ally B

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 16:58:56 PM »
Thanks for all the information,I do indeed have a variety of names to go by. The reason I asked the question was last May we went into the Letoon Hotel for a bit of lunch and the waiter brought us a plate of these fruits after we had finished. Mrs B took a likeing to them so I brought home some seeds.I planted the seeds last July and they germinated fairly fast. I overwintered them in the porch and the plants are now about 8 inches tall and have seven large dark green leaves. I intend growing them outside in large pots,I doubt if I will ever get any fruit from them but by the look of the plants just now they will look good when they are bigger.Whether they will last the winter outside I dont know but I will give it a try,I might manage to put one in the porch for protection. Thanks again for all the information.

Offline George Warner

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 09:33:02 AM »
Thanks for all the information,I do indeed have a variety of names to go by. The reason I asked the question was last May we went into the Letoon Hotel for a bit of lunch and the waiter brought us a plate of these fruits after we had finished. Mrs B took a likeing to them so I brought home some seeds.I planted the seeds last July and they germinated fairly fast. I overwintered them in the porch and the plants are now about 8 inches tall and have seven large dark green leaves. I intend growing them outside in large pots,I doubt if I will ever get any fruit from them but by the look of the plants just now they will look good when they are bigger.Whether they will last the winter outside I dont know but I will give it a try,I might manage to put one in the porch for protection. Thanks again for all the information.I
I have a friend in the UK [Essex} who has one growing in his garden,seems to be quite hardy,fruit are a bit iffy.Be wary,they can get a little large!

Offline Fran

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 16:48:51 PM »
We planted one of these in the garden about 6 yrs ago. It’s never fruited and hasn’t grown a great deal. They might do better in pots though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf