Author Topic: An Update on Colwyn  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
An Update on Colwyn
« on: February 06, 2021, 13:39:31 PM »
I made contact with Colwyn's wife Hilary to let her know we were thinking about him and to ask for an update.

To give a bit of information (I hope this is ok Hilary), I can share that Colwyn had a stroke a couple of years ago which has left him with Aphasia which has caused him speech/communication and mobility issues. I've known this for some time but didn't know if it was my place to share it - but I know so many members want to hear how he's doing.

As I mentioned previously, he tries to keep up to date with CBF so I'm sure he'd be delighted to read any messages you guys have for him!

I'll start, with a Turkish Tale to remind him of when we had some fun putting together a website about Fethiye. I did the website, all the sections like bars & restaurants, local places to visit etc and (unwisely perhaps) had always wanted to do a History of Fethiye section. Now that is really a History of Turkey section and there was a problem - there's so bleedin' much of it! Anatolia, Lycia, The Persians, Romans, Byzantine Empire, Greeks, Huns, Ottoman Empire, Ataturk & the Modern Turkey - and plenty more.

Not really knowing if I had missed any out, or which order they went in, I wrote the whole thing and was relatively happy with it. But I was nervous because you could miss out an important part and upset/insult someone. So I knew just the man to ask to just check it through for me - a well travelled Turkeyite called Colwyn.

Colwyn was most agreeable and I sent the whole lot over to him. I asked him to feel free to change bits or move them around, not to feel awkward to tell me any little bits that were inaccurate or even missing.

About 48 hours later he emailed back. I opened the attachment to see how many edits he'd put in/taken out - and I had no idea where my work had gone. Colwyn must have read it, binned it and started again - he'd written the whole history from scratch :D

I copied & pasted it into the website and found good pictures of Persian invaders, maps of the Ottoman Empire etc to go alongside "my" work.

For that one section I put "by Keith Campbell & Colwyn Jones" and remember I was so proud to do so. I should have written 3%/97% too...

I remember showing him the page first and thanking him again for such wonderful knowledge and interesting writing. He wrote back and said he thought the pictures were very good :D

Miss you my friend, hope this brought back some memories and made you smile.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: An Update on Colwyn
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 15:15:28 PM »

Colwyn
   I miss your interesting and well informed  post's and our occasional good humored disagreements, usually political.
   And i've often wondered if you were successful with your local anti planning department campaign and the fate of
   the extinction threatened Newts. I would also love to know your views on the current political and Brexit situations
   given the huge changes that have occurred, but it can wait. I really wish you well with your recovery and if there is
    anything any of us can do to help please let us know. Anything at all.

Wishing Hilary and yourself the best of everything.

Kevin and family

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 15:39:03 PM »
Wishing you all the best in your recovery Colwyn. Sending positive thoughts to you.

Rana   :)

Offline TOSH TOSH

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 16:12:21 PM »
Sending you best wishes   :)

Offline marina

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 18:56:48 PM »
Colwyn, very best wishes to both you and Hilary. You are certainly much missed on here, but good to know that you keep in touch with what is going on. Take care.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 23:09:43 PM »
Brenda and I send you the fondest of wishes.

This forum is certainly the poorer for you absence.

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 07:53:19 AM »
Thank you for the update Keith.

Very best wishes to Colwyn and, of course, Hilary. 

Offline cenk

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 11:01:23 AM »
Sending our best wishes to Colywn and Linda.
Olga and Cenk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 16:00:27 PM »
All the very best to you Colwyn and to Hilary also, I too miss your posts on good old CBF, x

Offline davybill

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 07:11:08 AM »
Get well soon ,Colwyn, 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf