Author Topic: Can this be Tom or Misha  (Read 3686 times)

Offline cenk

Can this be Tom or Misha
« on: May 19, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:59:35 AM by cenk »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Can this be Tom or Misha
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
There is no sighting of Tom in the area this morning. The rehab team are there now dealing with the situation and Sule has been dealing with the Ministries involved.

The staff from Kusadasi Dolphin Park are totally out of order feeding Tom and trying to capture him and along with all those who work and support the captive industry will do anything to undermine the success of the release of Misha and Tom.

The Turkish Freedom for Dolphins Platform has prepared and sent a press response to the Hurriyet and the following is part of the Born Free team response to the press.

"The animals are swimming far and fast and feeding well. These are all very good indications that Tom and Misha are adapting to live in the wild.

The greatest threat to these animals right now is contact with people. They are very social animals and have had close contact with people during their many years in captivity. These animals have to now follow their wild instinct, contact with people will greatly reduce their chances of survival.

Please if you spot these dolphins and see people attempting to make contact with them, inform them to stay away
How to spot Tom and Misha: They are both large, healthy Bottlenose dolphins. The distinguishing mark is the tracking devices, which are small units with an antennae, on their fins.

What to do if you spot them: Stay at a distance. If you see people trying to make contact please tell them to stay away from the animal and immediately call your local coast guard."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:27:12 AM by nichola »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Can this be Tom or Misha
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:11:12 AM »
Just to add that Tom is not hurt - he has been feeding well on Mullet off the coast of Samos until yesterday and if he appears "tired" then it is because since their release 10 days ago both he and Misha have swum hundreds of miles.

Offline cenk

Can this be Tom or Misha
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:13:19 AM »
The man in the video mentions that he has an injury.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Can this be Tom or Misha
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »
It is not true - they thought he did until they realised it was the satellite tag.

Offline cenk

Can this be Tom or Misha
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by nichola

It is not true - they thought he did until they realised it was the satellite tag.

Thank you for updating.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Can this be Tom or Misha
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »
What on earth is wrong with some people, fancy trying to capture him after all what he has been through and all the fantastic brilliant work that has been done for both Micha and Tom.
Thanks for the update Nichola, fingers crossed people will take heed and not interfere with either of them on any sightings that may happen :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Can this be Tom or Misha
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cenk

quote:
Originally posted by nichola

Thank you for updating.

You are welcome Cenk  :)

If anyone sees any inaccurate or concerned reports about the Hurriyet coverage on Facebook I would be extremely grateful if you can comment and feedback on the posts (as you think appropriate) anything I have posted here.

By the way a little bit of good news is that the local coast guard reported seeing Tom with another dolphin yesterday :D

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Can this be Tom or Misha
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »
I did not realise there is another dolphin park at Kusadasi!Hubby has just told me an interesting story as I told him about what had happened with Tom.
We were at Dalaman a week ago Tuesday night at the boarding gate, out flight was three hours delayed and I had to go to sleep as had to be at work by 8am the next day and was panicking about not getting to bed that night.
Anyway there had been a big old barney going on with this woman as she had to pay some money for being 1 kilo overweight at check in and the barney seemed to be going on still with staff at the gate.Hubby was listening to it all as the goings on were non to quiet, he heard them telling some people how they had been to a dolphin park during their holiday,(not sure if it was a show with dolphins or to go and swim with them) they thought it was going to be a lovely day out with the kids but they were saying how awful it was, what terrible conditions it was and it was so bad they walked out and did not stay. Obviously it was good they did not stay and hubby did not catch where the place was they had been to.
When will people finally get the message that people just don't want to see animals (or the majority of people don't)kept in these appaling conditions, I just wish he had heard where it was.:(

Offline cenk

Can this be Tom or Misha
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 13:21:54 PM »
[/quote]

By the way a little bit of good news is that the local coast guard reported seeing Tom with another dolphin yesterday :D
[/quote]

:)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf