Author Topic: Enough to live on?  (Read 5813 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Enough to live on?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 00:43:06 AM »
c1 - no matter which way you look at it - if Starman got say 15% interest(net) and his investment devalued by 10% per annum (conservative estimate) then he is only getting a real return of 5%. On £100k I could get you 5% interest (in the UK) with guaranteed capital return after 5 years (and probable capital growth).

Risk /Return
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 00:45:01 AM by stoop »

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Enough to live on?
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »
stoop, I can get 6% from ING but after tax, bearing in mind that they (banks) collect the tax (basic)at souce, leaving the individual to pay the extra tax assuming you pay at 40% rate this doesn't seem a good investment in the uk either. I think over the period you would lose money slower in the uk than turkey although the 15% return has fluctuated over a period to over twice 15% if my memory serves, however we maybe in for some devaluation of sterling shorty (already slipping against euro). you pays you money and you take your chances. you might want to explore investing in tax free isa's as income and growth has some tax saving eliment.if you havn't already checked it out,you can then get the income direct into your nationwide account etc, sits out side you tax limits, not much use if you intend to exit uk for good, a balance of risk return spread over all markets does work out. best of luck with what ever you decide :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:38:34 AM by c1 »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Enough to live on?
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 11:20:01 AM »
It all depends what risk you are prepared to take with your £100k. If in five years time you want to come back to the UK and the YTL is week against the £ then it could cost you a fortune. On the other hand - taking 6% (net of basic rate tax) and STILL having £100k in the bank might be a better option if you are adverse to high risk investments.

My own view is that if I was relying on 15% return from my total life savings in order to live in a foreign country then I would seriously consider whether I was doing the right thing or not. But then I am a fairly cautious investor.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:20:38 AM by stoop »

Offline McGroogle

Enough to live on?
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 13:15:45 PM »
You can talk all you like about rates.

But surely if you are living in Turkey and investing money you would be looking at the exchange rate and markets everyday. If there was a big shift in exchange rates one way or the other then surely you would convert one to the other to protect your capital?

To just convert and leave your money in one account would be madness.

Offline tytots

Enough to live on?
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 16:09:05 PM »
What are your thoughts on government bonds & shares in say telephones etc. I haven't as yet looked into this in great depth,but will be doing so soon as part of an investment plan. Would not a mix of £s,ytl,bonds & shares be an option?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf