Author Topic: come back to england or stay  (Read 7681 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
come back to england or stay
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:54:26 AM »
Even if you can afford to live clearly doesn't mean that you are going to have no problems at all. A couple of others for starters

1. The languauge problems
2. The weather

Offline Sus

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Even if you can afford to live clearly doesn't mean that you are going to have no problems at all. A couple of others for starters

1. The languauge problems
2. The weather

True, but the language problem you can overcome but the weather no matter where you live you can do sod all about it.

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »
Been on holiday is very different to living here on a budget - when you come on holiday you save and bring loads of spending money so you can do what you like and eat out and have a fantastic time - living here is very different.  You will find that things you happily spent money on as a holiday maker seem expensive and you own;t want to go out as much in the summer when it's too hot and prices are higher in lots of resturants and the markets.  The medical insurance is a problem that is worrying many people right now.   If I can afford to stay I can't imagine wanting to return to the UK.

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 13:56:10 PM »
Only stayed here 2 months full time, so give me another 10 years and i may come up with some answers.

Offline BM06

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 14:08:09 PM »
Well having lived in Ovacik for 12 years I decided in August to return to England (I have two granchildren now that I did not have when I moved) that being one of the reasons I also had just had enough of Turkey as has been mentioned before on CBF the trip to the banks funny! and "we have nothing else to do" becomes irritaiting and boring after 12 years the bureaucracy I found both labourious and a complete waste of time (mine and the same person=people I had to see at least twice!)the EPKs that have come over in the last 6 years drove me mad with there attitude :o they seemed to bring a part of the UK with them that I personaly could not wait to get away from ;)I also found a change in some of the locals attitude it imo seemed some were getting a bit hostile[?]walking my dogs and worring if I had been burgled whilst out[:(!](3 times in the first 4 years)watching that they(dogs) did not pick up anything that may have been poisoned[:(!] and imo you will always be a yabanci no matter how hard you try to fit in to the way of life and culture but to be quite honest I am loving it at home the silly little things that make home home so to speak. I will never regret the time I lived there and have some wonderful memorys to cherish for the rest of my days I may visit at some time in the future but (and this may sound crazy) I can not wait to go on holiday :) so for now I am enjoying Leigh on sea in Essex and a pint of real beer 8) for people thinking of the big move go for it just keep both eyes wide open at all times and beware of Turks bearing gifts :)

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 14:32:14 PM »
Very good post bm06 you sum up the bad parts very well,now how about some of the things you really enjoyed.

Offline BM06

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 17:08:05 PM »
Well Ron the topic heading being "come back to England or stay" the reasons given above are some not all of the reasons which convinced me to come back home as I said the "wonderful memorys I will cherish for the rest of my days"(I could write a book Ron) but the Boss would not thank me for taking all the band width up!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 17:42:22 PM »
I would only object on the basis that we'd probably write the same book and I wouldn't want to share the royalties  ;) I too am grateful for the experiences and memories (and in fact the stories more than anything) but I do feel we hit it just at the right time - I have no desire to live there now. I hardly recognise it as the place we moved to (in terms of atmosphere, attitude and excitement rather than appearance), but enjoy our holidays and visits there very much.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 21:53:29 PM »
We spent 5 years in Ovacik and some of it was great but we did have some problems. My reasons for leaving are similar to BM06 and with some more. We bought a villa in a very quiet part of Ovacik and the first couple of years were great. I thought this was the best place in the world. The majority of my neighbours were Turkish and they were lovely and became friends. One afternnon sitting minding my own business all of these coaches started to park in the council land and all along our small road. 24 coaches turned up. It became a nightmare with these coaches doing airport transfers all through the day and night. The drivers would start up the buses an hour before they were leaving for the pickup so that the air conditioning worked. Bus drivers were changing their work clothes in full view,urinating around the back of the buses and throwing rubbish everywhere.Thousands of plastic water bottles by the side of the road. There was more traffic along our road than you would have got at the Otogar. It was not just me but my Turkish neighbours who were complaining. We made visits to the mayor and he promised that these buses would be moved and nothing ever happened. We had petitions and did it all legally. End of the season they left.

In April the following year they turned up again. We went through the complaining process again and nothing happened. One day the jeandarma turned up and I was arrested and taken to the station in Olu Deniz. I was accused of damaging a bus. The drivers thought it was a great laugh as it was stage managed and I got taken away while a load of them were watching.When I asked the jeandarma what proof did they have I was told that they did not have any and it was the word of the drivers. They did not even seee the bus that I was supposed to have damaged. I was eventually released 3 hours later.One of the Jeandarma was a nice bloke and he gave me a lift home and told me that I should not push this because there were many backhanders been given to allow the coaches to park in the area and that I could get beaten up as the bus company is not happy about my complaints.It seems Yilmaz, the mayor, had his palm crossed with silver. I never did damage any of their coaches.

In the UK you are innocent until proved guilty, I did not feel that way in Turkey. Like some other people on here I had problems with speeding tickets. I learnt about the fines when I went to pay the car tax. No information was ever produced to substantiate these fines and I just had to pay them.

We also had some very good experiences. My Turkish neighbours I would not swap for the world. They were great and most of the Turks are charming.The beauty of the area is a big draw. I preferred going to Olu Deniz in the winter when the place was empty.In some ways I preferred the winter to the summer.I would go and watch Olu deniz play football up in the sportsground in Ovacik and sit there looking at the snow capped mountains.

As I have seen it and done it I would not go back. It took a little time but I am happy to be out of the place. In my opinion, even with all its faults, the UK is still the best place in the world. Ppeople are on here knocking the UK and the NHS. Being a diabetic all I can say is the treatment and care I have got is second to none.The weather may not be the best but I will settle for what it offers.

Anyone reading this do not let my opinion or experiences be the decider for you. What is good for one does not mean it is good for another.The real piece of advice I would give is if you are not sure do not cut your ties with the UK immediately.Some people have sold up and now regret it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 22:02:35 PM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Offline cenk

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ovacikpeedoff

In the UK you are innocent until proved guilty, I did not feel that way in Turkey.

In Turkish justice system, it is little bit different. You are guilty till you prove that you are innocent [:(!]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf