Author Topic: Guvec Spices  (Read 6700 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Guvec Spices
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 08:28:03 AM »
I hope Heather's guvec is more successful than her quoting

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Guvec Spices
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 16:45:05 PM »
What's up with my quoting?  I only use the part of the quote I am referring to because I am saving bandwidth:D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Guvec Spices
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 16:59:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by heather07

What's up with my quoting?

Well, quotes look like that, not like this:

[
[/quote]
Pulbiber is made from dried chillies, the strength varies with the type of chilli used.

Paprika is made from dried and crushed red peppers, you can get hot (aci), mild (acisiz), or sweet (tatli).

8):D
[/quote]

Offline JulieP

Guvec Spices
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 15:28:35 PM »
Here is a link to a recipe I saw for lamb and vegetable casserole, or in Turkish Kuzu etli Guvec:

http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2006/06/lamb-and-veggie-casserole.php

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
Guvec Spices
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 16:13:37 PM »
Is fresh or dried tarragon available in Turkey and if so what name is it please (get back on topic after this answer :D)
Mark

Offline Sue T

Guvec Spices
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 16:16:53 PM »
A quick to cook version using a pressure cooker (although traditional Guvec is cooked in an earthenware pot) is to fry your onions and cubed lamb in some oil, add either chopped and skinned fresh tomatoes of tinned ones, season with salt and pepper, add some tomato or pepper puree and just enough water to sustain 20 mins cooking at pressure to 'do' the meat.
Meanwhile cut up courgettes and aubergines(preferably the long rather than fat ones)  into cubes. i.e. cut the courgette in half down the length then cut the halves again, then chop into inch lengths.  Cut up some peppers, red and green, you can add green beans if liked - (but check that these cook fairly quickly otherwise they will need adding to the meat) then put the chopped veggies into a bowl and add olive oil, crushed garlic, sweet red pepper and flakes of chilli pepper, ground black pepper a small amount of dried thyme and if you like a small pinch of cumin, stir all these around so the spices and oil coat the veggies.
Then when the meat has cooked and the pressure released, check there is sufficient juices around the meat - if not add a little water - and pile the veggies on the top, without stirring them in, you can add some chunks of peeled tomato at this stage on top of the veggies.  Bring back to pressure and cook for 5-7 mins according to your cooker.
Stir carefully together as you serve I find this method helps to keep the vegetables in good shape.
Serve with rice and a salad

Offline Sue T

Guvec Spices
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 16:21:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by karaokemark

Is fresh or dried tarragon available in Turkey and if so what name is it please (get back on topic after this answer :D)
Mark

My dictionary says it is called Tarhun I don't think it is well known in Fethiye, but its worth asking at the spice shops in the covered market or places like that.

Offline marytheresa

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »

Offline marytheresa

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 10:23:45 AM »

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Guvec Spices
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 16:46:02 PM »
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/index.html

Try this website it is brilliant for queries on spices and in fact gives you translations in 49 languages....Yes including Turkish:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf