Author Topic: Basic advice for potential buyers  (Read 40708 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Basic advice for potential buyers
« on: September 05, 2003, 21:50:10 PM »
Just to kickstart this forum I put together some things to think about when choosing your dream home in the sun. Just a couple of subjects for now.

These are based on the experience of buying twice, although some of these tips I learned too late, lots of emails from people who found my websites and thought I seemed to be worth asking about buying property, and from enormous amounts of reading and also obsessive checking of real estate websites.

Hopefully some will be thought provoking and others can add their handy tips:

Well Calis obviously but where?

My villas are well out of the centre of Calis. We like that very much. We like eating breakfast on the veranda with the background sounds of goat bells and the occasional bee flying past.

People often email the rental site asking for somewhere nice and quiet, so I tell them I have just the place! Then they reply with "It has to be close to the bars and restaurants" Well, it normally can't be done. Do you REALLY want peace and quiet, or do you want Calis centre on your doorstep? Think hard, this isn't two weeks in the Summer you are paying for, it's most of your holidays for many years to come.

SEA VIEWS?

Of course! We all want to look out to sea from our balcony. If it's important, go for it. But Turkey is no different to anywhere else. it comes at a price. One development in Calis had two properties for sale, both on the seafront. One facing straight out to sea and one the very same facing an identical block opposite. The price difference? £40,000. Identical buildings. There are some lovely villas for £40,000!

Also be very careful. Some properties I have seen advertised are way over normal price because of a sea view. Not £40k, but into 10's of thousands more. Beautiful views over the islands and Fethiye. The only thing between you and the sea is a scruffy grassy area.

Once they build on that scruffy grassy area (and they will!) your sea view is gone forever - and the premium value of your property with it. So ask yourself: Is my sea view permanent? Some I have seen advertised are probably unlikely to have a sea view for too long the way things are going.

Real Estate Speak

Here is the Estate Agent/Scunner holiday house purchasing phrasebook.

"10 minutes walk to all the bars and restaurants"
There is a bar with a restaurant near those trees. Calis is miles away

"If you don't come out by next week it will be sold"
I hope this idiot doesn't know it's been on the website since January

"Handy for the dolmus"
You need the dolmus

"500 yards from the sea"
500 yards from somewhere with no beach

"This guy does all our maintenance"
This guy speaks only Turkish so we can double his quote and you won't be any the wiser

"That?! We'll get that fixed for a few pounds"
This will cost you £50 to fix

"Handy for the market"
People will descend upon you in their thousands once a week

"A property with extensive Turkish charm"
If I bought this I'd demolish it and start again

"Midway between Calis & Fethiye"
Absolutely hopelessly placed for either

"Prices from £50,000"
Prices from £60,000 if you want the luxury items, roof, doors etc.

OK so some maybe a bit tongue in cheek, but there's truth in all of them to some degree.

Most important thing: If it doesn't feel right, it isn't. If you read something, or are told something that doesn't seem to go down comfortably, ask others about it. Ask here at the forums. Email me. Email someone else on here who has bought. Ask someone who doesn't have a clue, but ask for a second opinion.

Scunner

Offline Roy H

• Father of the House
  • Father of the House
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 07:48:45 AM »
You missed a few Scunner -
With tongue in cheek apologies to Turkuaz-guide.net

"Villa with shared pool"
- be sure how many villa's are sharing it

"Just a 5 minute taxi ride into Calis"
- and the same to Fethiye at the rate some of them travel

"Open plan kitchen"
- it's all part of the living room so the washing machine can only go just where you wanted to put the TV

"With rear patio terrace"
- your front door opens directly on to the street

"With beautiful well stocked garden"
- you will spend all summer watering it just to keep the plants alive

"Conveniently situated in the centre of Calis"
- you can hear music from the surrounding hotels late into the night

and a few others but I won't bore you with them

Offline Scarey

• Senior Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 19:37:12 PM »
Have read the above and I thought the scruffy grassy area (the bit known as bird sanctuary) could not ever be built on......true?!

Offline Scarey

• Senior Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 19:49:48 PM »
If you check the government building plans and see where the building LINE runs it will tell you if your seaview is likely to be lost in the future from further properties being developed ?!

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 21:14:22 PM »
which scuffy area of grassland do you refer to ? the piece near to the "Yellow Villas" or the other piece near to Saglik and telemessos

Ron

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 21:23:08 PM »
Did Heidi tell you that? Don't believe a word - that scruffy bit of land is earmarked as the new multi storey car park! Shame about your sea view but a sale is a sale, well done Heidi!

No, I understand that area can't be built on.

Scunner

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 21:45:31 PM »
Thank goodness  for that saying we are in  the same area as Scarey :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 21:48:48 PM »
Yes I know  ;)

Killed two bird sanctuaries with one stone there

Scunner

Offline Scarey

• Senior Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 21:54:25 PM »
Sorry Ron, I am unsure where the yellow villas are...I only no it as bird santuary and its the end closer to Fethiye near the start of the Calis promenade...my sense of direction is quite awful as I am sure you may have read !! I never leave the villa without my ball of wool now :D!!!

Offline spotty

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 18:00:14 PM »
Many thanks for the above info, it was very helpful whilst looking for property last week. I was told that the beach was 800 metres from the villa, so i asked the bloke if we could walk it - needless to say he didn't want to! He said he would drive me there - i told him i wouldn't have a car so wanted to walk - first he didn't know the way so had to get someone to help! - and it took 25 mins to get to a secluded bit of beach!!! That was just one instance trust me there were more. That was before i met Heidi and changed to another estate agents and found the property we are now buying on the complex called Palm Beach. Just to say that a lot of the things Scunner wrote above cropped in conversation!!! lol.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf