Author Topic: Flyers over the valley  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Sue T

Flyers over the valley
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »
The other day 3 or 4 today 10 or more, paragliders flying off Geyran mountain overlooking Uzumlu valley.
Now was this in celebration of Hidrella or was it a protest aginst the fees for Baba Dag? ;)

Offline calvin 1949

Flyers over the valley
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 13:31:35 PM »
They fly very regular through the spring and summer!!!! :)probably to stay clear of the tourists : :):D,they are all solo no tandem flights me thinks
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 13:33:47 PM by calvin 1949 »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Flyers over the valley
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 15:53:43 PM »
so is there a track up then - i didn't realise you could get a vehicle up Geyran...?

Offline wickwilly

Flyers over the valley
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 16:52:19 PM »
There is a very good track up to the fire hut at the top.To get to it you have to drive through Kizilbel and follow the road down the valley for 3-4 k and then you will come upon a small turning to the right.This is the track to the top. It is about 12 k from road to summit.A few of us walked it yesterday!!.The views are well worth the effort and, in fact, we were above the paragliders.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Flyers over the valley
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 17:21:03 PM »
Oh thanks Wickwilly  -  Andy and I have often wondered !  we'll have a little explore when we are back out.  (will be need jeep or will a little rentacar manage the climb ?   wouldn't attempt the walk in July, far too hot with not bars enroute !!)

Offline wickwilly

Flyers over the valley
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 17:41:22 PM »
I would not try it in a car. The terrain is a bit rough in places.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Flyers over the valley
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 21:32:32 PM »
walking boots and an early start it is then !!!

Offline wickwilly

Flyers over the valley
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 21:43:49 PM »
There is a shorter more direct route if you like climbing.Take the road from Uzumlu towards Cadianda.After the new estate on the left there is a dolmus stop. Take the left turn (footpath) and you will climb up a valley to a plateau.There is a house at the beginning of the plateau and just prior to this is a track to the left that takes you up to the road that I talked about earlier.From here its a left turn to the fire hut.It is very steep in places.It took us about two hours from Uzumlu to the hut at the top and then two and half hours back to Kizilbel using the road.
Happy Hiking.
WW

Offline corbindallas

Flyers over the valley
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 19:15:32 PM »
Thought it was great to see the paragliders here in the village, even funny to see Hassan (our farmer neighbour) and his family who had to help cut one out of a tree they landed in. Obviously not used to the multi landing site choices here!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf