Author Topic: Cadianda ruins  (Read 3283 times)

Offline hazel dorrington

Cadianda ruins
« on: February 24, 2011, 14:41:47 PM »
Can anyone tell me the best way to visit this site as no tours go there and a taxi is very expensive. Is it walking distance from Uzumlu and would it be easy to get a guide? Any help would be appreciated as I would like to visit in the latter end of march.

Offline calvin 1949

Cadianda ruins
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 15:04:15 PM »
Hi Hazel, if you go to

www.kuzugobegifest.com

you will find a section devoted to Cadianda  :).Enjoy  :)
try to make it up during the festival as there are organised tours up also plenty going on in our beautiful village of Uzumlu!! :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 15:05:38 PM by calvin 1949 »

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Cadianda ruins
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 15:18:36 PM »
It would be quite a long and steep walk from Uzumlu Hazel. I've been there a few times on a scooter and the road can get quite rough with large stones & boulders the further up you go. When I went last year they were doing some re-surfacing so maybe it will be better this year.
If you could spread the cost of the taxi between a few of you, perhaps that's a solution. It's a must visit place for sure.

Offline calvin 1949

Cadianda ruins
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 15:29:32 PM »
There is a way marked track up through the village now!just follow the red and white signs,steep yes!! but well worth the trip .

Offline littlereddevil

Cadianda ruins
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 16:22:45 PM »
We walked the long way up,around the road and it seemed to take forever.Good though

Offline Steve A

Cadianda ruins
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 17:02:41 PM »
About 4 yrs ago in the December never having driven anywhere in Turkey or even been outside of Calis/Fethiye decided to hire a car(small renault 1200cc)and see some of the local area.I had read about the valley /village of Uzumlu and the ruins at Cadianda so decided to drive up there to have a look.Weather beautiful in Calis still shorts & t shirts during the day but cold at night.Drove to Uzumlu loved the place ,drove through the village until the road became a track and started to rise above the valley.Then saw a sign for Cadianda pointing up what I can only describe as a goat track but like a fool drove up and up as the track got steeper the cliff got higher and the track rougher with boulders etc.I got so far that I couldnt turn back and as the track narrowed even more I was confident that I would find a passing place or somewhere I could turn around as it was evident that there had been rains up there and parts of the track were now completely washed away.Got to a small stream which I had to cross by placing boulders under the wheels to even the track out,it was now only just over a cars width wide and crumbling at the edges beneath us.My wife and daughter had started to panic by this point and my son had this sort of nervous laugh that he'd never displayed before.Ever good in a crisis I remained calm ,reassured them and ploughed on till we came to a wide turn in the road and a sign saying Cadianda 1km,but the road beyond was completely blocked by a landslide.I was able to turn the car round at this point and as I tried to cross the small stream mentioned earlier somehow managed to dislodge the boulders and were now perched precariously with 3 wheels off the deck and the car pivotting  like a top.Managed to get the family out safely and tried in vain to dislodge the car.At this point up the mountain with shorts and t shirt on I realised how different the climate is down in Calis at midday as opposed to up a mountain 3 hrs later as it was starting to get dark !So I said no probs I 'll phone a friend who has a 4x4 who will come and get us,yes you've guessed it no signal.Eventually after panic attack from daughter,tears from wife,more laughter from son we managed to pile some rocks up and drive over.As we drove about 50yards we were met by a couple trying the same route in a Peugeot estate who narrowly missed going over the edge as the passed us.Anyway we got down safely went straight to ALO24 and had some of the best tomato soup ever to calm the nerves.It was pretty harrowing and although good in a crisis I must say there were points when I was touching cloth !Typical Englishman abroad,invincible,unprepared etc.Wont try to drive there again but would like to go back as it was absolutely stunning.

Offline hazel dorrington

Cadianda ruins
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »
Thanks Calvin. Can you tell me approx distance or time it would take to get there. I am used to walking (even up steep hills) and usually manage a steady 2miles an hour. Is the path easy to follow or would it be easy to get lost. Are there any residents of Uzumlu who have a passion for walking and would like to be our guide?
quote:
Originally posted by calvin 1949

There is a way marked track up through the village now!just follow the red and white signs,steep yes!! but well worth the trip .

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Cadianda ruins
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »
Blimey Steve, that's a day the family will never forget then! Going on my 2 wheels was bad enough.
Nice name btw.

Offline Steve A

Cadianda ruins
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »
Cheers Steve we laugh about it now but you will never get my daughter up another mountainside !Did you get up to Cadianda on a motorcycle ? And is it worth me trying again on 4 wheels when I come out in May ?

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Cadianda ruins
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »
Steve - Yes, I got up there on 2 wheels (2 up) without too many problems. There is of course the gravel patches to contend with along with the large boulders but if you take your time then you will be fine. As far as using a car in concered I'd say the road is a lot better than when you went by the sounds of it, again even if you are on 4 wheels my advice is just take your time. It's so worth the trip, it's beautiful up there and there is a great view of the whole of Fethiye at one vantage point.
In fact, I'll try and post some pics up over the weekend.

Hazel - It would take you at least a couple of hours I reckon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf